• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer's Shirt Hunting Experience

jaidog

Reaction score
After reading various posts during the past few weeks, I became inspired to update my wardrobe, specifically long-sleeve dress/sport shirts. For the most part, I wear jeans and slacks, with the sleeves of my shirts mostly folded up. I wear a suit & tie a few times a year (weddings, etc).

I have some shirts in my closet that are close to 20 years old and still wear them, although infrequently. These include Polo oxford button downs, some J Crew button downs, and other random shirts, most in the $20 range. In my opinion, some of these shirts are pretty decent -- they fit well, are made of comfortable material.

But, my wardrobe could use a few new shirts so I began the search, trying to stay below $35/shirt. I started by picking up a few Calvin Klein shirts from Nordstrom Rack for $15 each. They fit extremely well, have spread collars, no placket, and no pocket (all positives for me). I enjoy wearing them, but the material is slightly on the thin side and not very soft.

Based on decent reviews on SF, I ordered a couple Tyrwhitt shirts during their recent sale, each about $35. I immediately noticed that the fabric was more substantial and softer than my other shirts. And, the pattern is one I have not seen elsewhere. On the downside, I found the collar points a bit large and the cuffs and cuff opening much too large. The fit is not as good as the CK shirts, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. Perhaps I need to get accustomed to the Tyrwhitt slim fit.

Moving on, I came across Hart Schaffner Marx and ordered a few more shirts during their sale, each about $30. I was surprised to find very little information on HSM on SF or elsewhere, but since their clothing was once manufactured in my hometown, I decided to give them a shot. Once again, I noticed the fabric quality was very good. The medimum-sized sport shirts I ordered are slightly large for me, but I'm more comfortable in them than the Tyrwhitt slim fit. Ive always worn slightly "baggy" shirts so it may take some time to adjust to the slimmer ones. I also ordered a dress shirt (15/33) which fits extremely well and is made of nice cloth. It has an English spread collar with shorter points than Tyrwhitt, and the cuffs are the right size for me.

To summarize, I would say that the CK shirts fit me the best, followed by HSM, then Tyrwhitt. Material-wise, HSM and Tyrwhitt easily beat out CK. So, ideally, I would like a CK fit with HSM/Tyrwhitt material. If anyone knows of such a shirt, please advise. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads