• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie's guide to Lomography?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I stumbled upon a friend's facebook note and she mentioned something about Lomography. Curious, I googled it and found it to be pretty cool!

So I'm just wondering if there's anybody here who knows anything about it. I was reading and it looks like the Lomo Smena models are a good cheap place to start.

However, when I googled up sample pics, they don't seem as 'unique' looking as some other lomo pics I've seen. Not much oversaturation, dark edges, etc.

Can anybody recommend a cheap camera to play around with lomography?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked into Holga but they don't take standard 35mm, and I'm wary of possibly higher prices to develop those photos.

I'm not sure, I've seen some Lomo cameras selling for a few hundred; though those may possibly be vintage/deadstock "authentic" cameras.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Google "junk camera", "toy camera".
Indeed, very poor quality.

For a toy camera not of poor quality, the Minox, Robot, and Tessina are at the other extreme.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Toy camera indeed, but that doesn't mean it's not fun.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Indeed, very poor quality.

For a toy camera not of poor quality, the Minox, Robot, and Tessina are at the other extreme.

I have a quite few junk cameras that I've found over the years.
It's their lack of technical sophistication giving them a randomness of expression that makes them so popular.
The image they produce has the look of the authentic, although it isn't viewed as such.

I'm interested in Polaroids as well. The last camera that tells the truth.

tundrafour

Reaction score
At the risk of offending someone, I hate "Lomography." Mostly because it doesn't mean anything. All "The Lomographic Society" (what a name!) has done is make itself the sole distributor for a whole bunch of cheap, ****** cameras, invent this empty phrase and create a pseudo-hip marketing campaign that basically implies that any photo taken with said cameras is automatically brilliant, and subsequently raise the cameras' prices enormously (a big reason people liked the LC-A, Diana, Holga, etc., to begin with was that they were cheap!).

If you want to get into photography using a plastic/toy camera, like the ones The Lomographic Society sells, at least don't buy it from them. There are lots of low-quality plastic cameras you can get without going through Lomo. Try eBay, Goodwill, flea markets, etc. You might not get the same quirks in constrast, saturation, etc., you're looking for in the first camera you find, but if you're paying a few bucks, as opposed to in excess of $100, for each camera, you can afford to keep trying pretty easily.

Consider also, if you want weird colors, shooting with expired or no-name film and finding a photo developing place that will cross-process your film.

Oh, and as a side note, you can use both 35mm and medium format film with the Holga. Here's a little tutorial on using 35mm film: http://shop.lomography.com/holga-backup/35.html.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour
At the risk of offending someone, I hate "Lomography." Mostly because it doesn't mean anything. All "The Lomographic Society" (what a name!) has done is make itself the sole distributor for a whole bunch of cheap, ****** cameras, invent this empty phrase and create a pseudo-hip marketing campaign that basically implies that any photo taken with said cameras is automatically brilliant, and subsequently raise the cameras' prices enormously (a big reason people liked the LC-A, Diana, Holga, etc., to begin with was that they were cheap!).

If you want to get into photography using a plastic/toy camera, like the ones The Lomographic Society sells, at least don't buy it from them. There are lots of low-quality plastic cameras you can get without going through Lomo. Try eBay, Goodwill, flea markets, etc. You might not get the same quirks in constrast, saturation, etc., you're looking for in the first camera you find, but if you're paying a few bucks, as opposed to in excess of $100, for each camera, you can afford to keep trying pretty easily.

Consider also, if you want weird colors, shooting with expired or no-name film and finding a photo developing place that will cross-process your film.

Oh, and as a side note, you can use both 35mm and medium format film with the Holga. Here's a little tutorial on using 35mm film: http://shop.lomography.com/holga-backup/35.html.

I agree and don't think you are offensive at all.
You are correct in what you are saying.

Lensless photography is another way to go.
There are pinhole cameras available in the 2-3 hundred dollar range but, why?
Half the fun of is making the camera yourself.

You can always buy a very high quality film camera from the 1930's with an uncoated lens, medium format, for almost nothing on EBay.
They give surprising results.

There are really lots of cameras lying around now that you can hack and do something truly personal with .

stevo4

Reaction score
I believe one of the mottos of Lomography is "Don't Think, (just) Shoot"

Stevo

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tundrafour

Your statement might be 100% correct when it comes to that society that calls themselves Lomo-something and sells cheap cameras, but it is 100% incorrect when it comes to origins of Lomography and LOMO camera itself.
I owned the original Lomo camera in 1980s. It was made 100% of metal and had Carl Zeiss lens. It had auto focusing and manual operation. It was heavy and sturdy. While being pretty heavy it was a size of modern portable digital cameras (pack of cigarettes).
Lomography originated due to unique shortcoming of the lens that created whimsically distorted images that were always an unexpected surprise and very fun to develop on paper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads