1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie with questions to ask about raw denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lsquare, Dec 16, 2006.

1. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Is raw denim the same as dry denim? Are you guys concerned about the indigo ink coming off and stain the clothes that you wear with the denim and or the seats in the car/home. If I do buy raw denim, what is the best way to ensure that all of the excess indigo ink would have washed off and that the colour would stay constant until it wears out?

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Is raw denim the same as dry denim? Are you guys concerned about the indigo ink coming off and stain the clothes that you wear with the denim and or the seats in the car/home. If I do buy raw denim, what is the best way to ensure that all of the excess indigo ink would have washed off and that the colour would stay constant until it wears out?
    Raw denim isn't necessarily the same as dry denim. Raw denim hasn't been washed, dry denim may have been washed once or twice. Dry means it hasn't been washed or distressed to give artificial wear marks. Some dry denims bleed more than others. Just be aware of things around you. The best way to ensure the excessive indigo has been washed off is...wash them off. After a lot of wear, the indigo will also be rubbed off. Once you're satisfied with this, try not to wash often, or just send the jeans to a dry cleaner to keep the indigo level.

3. toyo

toyo Member

One wash, non wash, same stuff. Except one wash probably takes out all the bad stuff in the denim. non wash, people soak before wear.
    Just choose any, and wear like any kind of jeans, and if it gets dirty, who cares, go go go...

4. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Raw denim isn't necessarily the same as dry denim. Raw denim hasn't been washed, dry denim may have been washed once or twice. Dry means it hasn't been washed or distressed to give artificial wear marks.

Some dry denims bleed more than others. Just be aware of things around you.

The best way to ensure the excessive indigo has been washed off is...wash them off. After a lot of wear, the indigo will also be rubbed off. Once you're satisfied with this, try not to wash often, or just send the jeans to a dry cleaner to keep the indigo level.

Should I avoid wearing white or light clothings with raw denim as a result of the indigo coming off?

5. viking_mike

viking_mike Senior member

Should I avoid wearing white or light clothings with raw denim as a result of the indigo coming off?
    well it depends if you mind having indigo stains on your clothes, but to be honest the staining is usually minimal and usually comes out in the wash. its not that big of an issue really...

6. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

well it depends if you mind having indigo stains on your clothes, but to be honest the staining is usually minimal and usually comes out in the wash. its not that big of an issue really...

What if I wear a white dress shirt with it? I'm sure it'll stain it permanately right? I got coffee stains on my old pair of khakis and no amount of washing will wash it off. I don't know how tough it is to get rid of indigo ink off clothes, but the latest issue of GQ makes it sound like it's hard to remove.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

I wouldn't worry that much about it. Just wear non-white shirts for a while and you'll be fine. If you're that concerned about it, buy one-wash.

8. viking_mike

viking_mike Senior member

but the latest issue of GQ makes it sound like it's hard to remove.
    rule #1; don't listen to GQ

9. ringring

ringring Senior member

Raw denim isn't necessarily the same as dry denim. Raw denim hasn't been washed, dry denim may have been washed once or twice. Dry means it hasn't been washed or distressed to give artificial wear marks.

Some dry denims bleed more than others. Just be aware of things around you.

The best way to ensure the excessive indigo has been washed off is...wash them off. After a lot of wear, the indigo will also be rubbed off. Once you're satisfied with this, try not to wash often, or just send the jeans to a dry cleaner to keep the indigo level.

Dry denim means that the denim should not have been washed.

Raw denim should mean the same, but has often come to mean just dark looking jeans (as in GStar Raw - most of which have been washed).

10. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior member

Actually, white shirts might be the best thing to wear with denim that'll rub indigo off. You can use bleach on it to make sure that stain's gone.

11. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Does anyone here know which APC NS is the dry indigo? Is that the same as the unwashed one? The reason why I'm asking this is because joey at denim bar consistently refers to that, but APC's site doesn't and I think I know which one, but I just want to be 100% certain.

12. beefcake

beefcake Senior member

Does anyone here know which APC NS is the dry indigo? Is that the same as the unwashed one?

Yes it is.

13. smw356

smw356 Senior member

the indigo transfer from waistbands and the like washes right off even on white stuff. Its not even worth worrying about. Just toss some stainstick or something on it and wash it quickly and dont let it sit around forever and the indigo will come right out.

14. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Senior member

Actually, white shirts might be the best thing to wear with denim that'll rub indigo off. You can use bleach on it to make sure that stain's gone.

You sure about that? Sometimes bleach turns white fabrics yellow.

15. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior member

True. But the indigo's sure to be gone. I try and rinse white clothing one extra time after using bleach.

You can use some bluette if they get too yellow. In the laundry aisle. Follow instructions and use sparingly.

16. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I'd be far more concerned about getting indigo on things that are much harder to wash, like, say, chairs and car upholstry.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Some jeans transfer more than others. APCs, for example, transfer very little, but SPURRs and SDA's transfer like crazy (even after a hot soak). Darker jeans generally transfer more, but exceptions abound. If you wear light colored sneakers, color with transfer, it's that simple. There is really no way to get around it. White shirt? Yes, color will transfer, especially if you tuck (I never tuck and where white shirts only to interviews and at Christmas).

I would get indigo jeans. Black is, imo, a passing fad. If you wish, get a grey tinted indigo.

18. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

When I trade in my truck I have no idea how to explain why one side of the drivers seat is indigo, or the embossed wallet chain pattern running across the leather.

You have to not give a f**k when wearing raw, you'll just be whining all the time otherwise.

19. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I haven't had indigo rub off an any of my clothing yet. It won't come off just by contact, there needs to be some friction.

20. knucks

knucks Senior member

My indigo has not rubbed off, per say, but it did bleed onto my Nikes during a huge rainstorm.