• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie w/ Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece question

GMF

Reaction score
What a great forum!

I just purchased this Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suit on ebay. Since it actually has a size label inside of it, I'm assuming this is not a MTM suit so here's my question: Are the Golden Fleece RTW suits also made by Martin Greenfield and are essentially the same handmade quality, but just cut to standard sizes?

Thanks.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's a big jacket! Aren't most mannequins supposed to be 38-40" chest or something?

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Golden Fleece are Brooks' only fully canvassed RTW offerings. They're the best you can get at Brooks off the rack.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Are the RTW Golden Fleece suits made by Greenfield?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Pardon the tangential question, but how do the modern Greenfield Golden Fleeces compare to the old Brooks 'Makers' GFs?

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Pardon the tangential question, but how do the modern Greenfield Golden Fleeces compare to the old Brooks 'Makers' GFs?

I thought the consensus among the Brooks cognoscenti over at AA Trad forum was that the current Greenfield-made GF "can't compare" to the old 'Makers' GF. I am inclined to believe that this is more reflective of the brand of Brooks nostalgia that's rampant over there than it is of reality; in either case, the Greenfield-made GF are wonderful suits that offer a lot of things not present in the BrooksEase and 1818 lines, like side vents, canvassing, some handwork, etc. I think comparison of the two is more like a parlor game (for some) than anything else.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Well, yes, parlor game is probably correct. I'm not one who is going to insist on the nostalgic interpretation of Brooks quality, although I recognize they certainly did offer a higher grade of product in years gone by. I'm curious, though, how the amount of handwork, etc. compares between the GFs from the 'Makers' days compares to the Greenfield versions.

GMF

Reaction score
I just went to the Brooks Brothers web site and I don't see the Golden Fleece line of suits mentioned there at all. Wonder what's up with that?
confused.gif

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GMF
I just went to the Brooks Brothers web site and I don't see the Golden Fleece line of suits mentioned there at all. Wonder what's up with that?
confused.gif

Brooks doesn't offer the GF on the Web site or catalogue; it's only offered in their larger, urban stores.

AlanC: I didn't mean to imply that you were asking the question in the 'parlor-game' vein, only that I think that most of the people who bring it up wish to speak of it only to lament the current state of BB. I plead ignorance regarding the handwork of the old 'Makers' GF suits; maybe someone else here knows? I would also be interested in a comparison of the two that in some way quantifies the differences between them.

GMF

Reaction score
Well, the Golden Fleece suit arrived today. Couldn't be more pleased.
inlove.gif

Pinch test confirms it to be fully canvassed. The Loro Piana Super 120s wool is soft and supple (and a little heavier than I anticipated.)

Pants are already at the tailor for hemming.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daniel is one of the best and most honest ebayers I know , she sells some very nice items. I bought a whole bunch of ties and jackets from her and she is really honest.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have gotten a wonderful suit indeed. Don't be afraid to wear it as often as possible, either...enjoy it often!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll also throw my support in for Golden Fleece. I just picked up my first two suits and they are really nice. Clearly a notch below Oxxford, Isaia and Belvest etc., but great workhorse suits for everyday wear.

GMF

Reaction score
What does a Golden Fleece RTW made from Loro Piana 120s retail for? I know I got a good deal at under $200, but just how good?
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads