Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Newbie to nice shoes. J&M for $365 ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chrisjomo, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Chrisjomo

Chrisjomo New Member

Hi,
    I've recently started updating my wardrobe, and decided to invest in some more expensive shoes. I ended up buying a pair of shoes at Johnston and Murphy for $365. (Canadian dollar is at par with US).

They are the Ellard Saddle shoe - Made in Italy. I love the look of them - I've worn the shoes once and I can see some imperfections that are bugging me, (and possibly sole glue coming unstuck). I was thinking of just getting them replaced with a pair that didn't have the same problem - but the more I research - the more it seems that J&M isn't the place to spend big money on shoes.

Is there any chance that J&M'S more expensive shoes are better quality than their cheaper shoes - or should I take the back and replace with something from AE? Wish that AE had that style/colour.

Thanks for any opinions/info!

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seems a bit steep for J&M, but I've heard some of their higher end stuff is pretty decent (I have a cheap pair of oxfords from them that have aged like hell...though comfortable...and a rather pricey pair of suede boat shoes that have aged beautifully)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

$365 is ridiculous. Return. Look into AE. Or, if you're after a more European flare, Meermin. You're after Blake/Rapid stitched or Goodyear welted construction. Pay attention to how the shoes are made, as it will dictate how the shoes wear and age.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

4. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

$365 is absurd for Johston & Murphy. Heck, $3.65 is ridiculous for em as well. If at all possible, return.

Meermin, Shipton & Heneage, AE, high end used off eBay, go to Nordstrom Rack. Plenty of options in the $200 - $350 category. You can prob even scoop Aldens on a J Crew 20% off day for that kind of money.

5. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

Amen, way off. AE's are always solid, if a bit common, and I have several Shipton & Heneage as well as Herring (both UK brands, so you pay a little for shipping.) Don't be afraid to check out eBay, either: I just got a pair of barely used AE Cordovan longwings for $99.20.

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

Amazon sale right now for AE!

7. Chrisjomo

Chrisjomo New Member

Thanks for the info...I returned them, and am going to pull the trigger on some AE shoes this week. I've also found a few pairs on ebay and Kijiji, too, so I think I'll be buying two pairs, and be on the lookout for more, now that I'm armed with some quality names.

I knew everyone would say return them - but because I love the style of those shoes, I was still hoping that J&M's handcrafted Italian shoes were of better quality.

I have to give some props to the salesperson at J&M. She was helpful, and let me return them with grace.

Chris

Goodbye JM Shoe.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

ya better kiss that goodbye. looks very much like correct grain leather with blake construction, or maybe glued. not worth 365.

9. Chrisjomo

Chrisjomo New Member

Just to put an ending on this post - I took the money from returning the J&M shoes, and bid on a bunch of shoes on Ebay.
    I've won, and received four pairs of (used) shoes:
    Allen Edmonds Lexington Cap toes. Brown (Similar to the Sanford) $100
    Allen Edmonds Milford slip ons Black $80
    Allen Edmond Presidio Burgundy $45
    Salvatore Ferragamo Chukka Black $66

Very happy with them all. Love the Lexingtons. Was surprised at how near perfect all the shoes were.
    I know a lot more about shoes now, and more about what I like, and I still have $70 to fire off at another pair.
    Watch out 11.5 EE or 12E''s - I'm coming for you. :)

Chris

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not a fan of some of those lines, but definitely a nice haul. Pictures?

11. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Quite a haul and you are far and away better off going this route than your initial choice.

12. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

You just stepped on a very slippery slope...but welcome. We're all sliding away.

13. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Good move, chrisjomo.

14. Chrisjomo

Chrisjomo New Member

Here are some pics.
    My only shoes.

Lexingtons. My favorite.
    [​IMG]

Ferragamo Studio Ankle boots. They look like they were only worn once or twice.
    [​IMG]

Presidio. These slip on easy, and are so comfortable. A bit too burgundy.
    [​IMG]

Milford Slip-on. This one was too tight on the top of my foot. Need to stretch the stretchy fabric more.
    [​IMG]