• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie......spending more = better quality?

Innocent Bystander

Reaction score
As I stated I'm a newbie. I'll cut right to the chase. I'm tired of going on mini sprees at the mall stores, spending an insane amount of money on about ten shirts that I end up wearing three and the three that I do wear look like crap after a few times being washed. Really, you go to some of these stores that charge about $40-$50 for a button down shirt and it looks so cheap. Buttons are about to fall off, strings every where etc. God forbid you wear them a lot because they'll look like crap after a few washes. This also goes for summer polos, sweaters etc.

So, are the clothes at the affiliates and like shops made that better? Will they hold up to constant wear and washing and last more than one season? I'm not quite convinced that I want to spend $200 on a sweater, but I'm leaning that way.

Last, can somebody recommend a good, thick cardigan or full zip up sweater? I'm looking for something that can be work over a T, Button down, henly etc. It will get worn almost everyday over a shirt. I was thinking about this one. Any input would be good:

http://www.tobi.com/product/18374-ed...color_id=21942

beckett

Reaction score
not all always, quite often all your paying for with expensive clothes is a huge mark up - $$$ doesn't always equal better quality.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heynow
you get what you pay for.
There is still a point of diminishing marginal returns. The difference in quality between a $500 and $700 sweater is probably not going to be as great as the difference between a $50 and $250 sweater.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
There is still a point of diminishing marginal returns. The difference in quality between a $500 and $700 sweater is probably not going to be as great as the difference between a $50 and $250 sweater.
It is also proportionally a much smaller difference.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not always, sometimes you simply pay a premium for styling, brand name, fit, ect. You can buy a 100% wool hand-knit scottish wool sweater, for the same price you can pay for a trendy cardigan with a cotton/nylon/acrylic job from some mid-level designer. Please don't tell me that the latter is better quality (other factors aside) in its purest sense.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by quality. Buttons on shirts don't mean **** to me since it's easy to tighten them up yourself. I'm more concerned with fabric, seam construction, details, fit, dyes used, aesthetic of the piece and what not. Sometimes you can find something for cheap that fits what you want, otherwise to get closer to 100% satisfied you gotta pay.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
It is also proportionally a much smaller difference.
Obviously, but the notion that spending more = better quality doesn't really take that into consideration...

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe

You can buy a 100% wool hand-knit scottish wool sweater....

Who produces these sweaters?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
Who produces these sweaters?
scotland_map1.jpg

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol wow.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to the OP, it sounds like you need to know how to take care of your clothes better as well as finding out what is better quality.

when you wash your shirts, do you put them in the dryer? or hang dry? do you use wire or wooden hangers? do you use a dry cleaner? Even crappy shirts tend to look like how I bought them if I wash them on cold and hang dry them. Only when I (or my wife) accidentally put them in the dryer do I notice them looking more worn after a wash. And I don't usually wash any garment (other than underwear and t-shirts) unless they are visibly stained or have a noticeable odor.

Anyways my point is that even if you buy the best quality shirts or shoes, they'll look like crap fast if you don't take care of them well. good luck

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
to the OP, it sounds like you need to know how to take care of your clothes better as well as finding out what is better quality.

when you wash your shirts, do you put them in the dryer? or hang dry? do you use wire or wooden hangers? do you use a dry cleaner? Even crappy shirts tend to look like how I bought them if I wash them on cold and hang dry them. Only when I (or my wife) accidentally put them in the dryer do I notice them looking more worn after a wash. And I don't usually wash any garment (other than underwear and t-shirts) unless they are visibly stained or have a noticeable odor.

Anyways my point is that even if you buy the best quality shirts or shoes, they'll look like crap fast if you don't take care of them well. good luck

+1

Also, you mention wearing this cardigan almost every day - there are few items of clothing you can wear every day which won't look like hell in a short matter of time. Maybe coats and jeans, but that is pretty heavy wear for something like a cardigan, which is probably not going to be *that* durable.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that more expensive stuff will last any longer than stuff that is cheaper. You can find goods of quality in all brackets of cost. You might not get hand crafted stitching (which actually is worse quality) and extra details but these really don't have any impact on the actualy durability of the item.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Spending more does get you higher quality sometimes...

Unfortunately the converse it not true, there is nothing of quality that is cheap. Also better grades of cotton and yarns will generally look much better after many washings and repeated use.

I don't agree with the cardigan post above, there is no reason for a high quality cardigan or knit to pill quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads