• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie question

bluebook

Reaction score
Hi I am new to SF and I got some questions hopefully you experts here can help me with. I only have one suit right now and it's excessively large, double breast, double vent, which basically is pure ugly on me (I think).

First, I m looking for a slim cut suit. I am not that skinny (so Dior Homme probably won't do it) but I do have a broad shoulder (swimming too much as a kid). Is there any specific brand I should look at so I don't have to get the tailor to perform too much alteration? I heard Ted Baker and J Lindeberg and Hugo Boss are nice for slim suit.

Second, I never bought a suit off ebay. Why do your guys buy suits from ebay when obviously your own tailored suit is clearly better? What's the advantage of ready-to-wear suit?

Third, are most of the stuff on the ebay fake? Why do they have bespoke suits on ebay (I thought these are customized for buyers)?

Thanks for answering my noob question.

teflondog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluebook
Second, I never bought a suit off ebay. Why do your guys buy suits from ebay when obviously your own tailored suit is clearly better? What's the advantage of ready-to-wear suit?

RTW suits are usually much cheaper than tailored bespoke suits. That's my reason for buying them anyways. Of course there's nothing better than having a suit made specifically for your body. If you have the money, you should go in that direction.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
canali makes nice slim suits for about 1500 price range
better then hugo boss or ted baker in terms of contruction
hugo boss and ted baker and j lindberg are fused while canali is fully canvassed
umm

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone looking for a slim suit should check out Thick As Thieves. I'm sure Get Smart will have something to say about your shoulder issue: you could post the Q in the thread over in Streetwear, I'm sure you're not the only one... When a "bespoke" suit is sold on eBay that means it was made for someone else and they don't want it anymore. You should be very cautious buying these as it's hard to know the construction and it might be cut in order to deal with some specific body abnormality. (In theory it could also mean that a tailor is using eBay as an ecommerce site - I've bought a MTM shirt this way - but this would be unexpected and the difference should be obvious.)

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
row-three-3.jpg

Is this the guy who is in the SuFu WAYWT thread a lot?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Is this the guy who is in the SuFu WAYWT thread a lot?
He's also in the SF Streetwear WAYWT thread a lot.
laugh.gif
His nick here is GetSmart. There are a few threads about his clothing line, Thick As Thieves, in that forum.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why limit yourself to off-the-rack? For the prices of the suits you mentioned in your post, you could go made-to-measure and get a suit as slim as you need it to be (though I urge that there is a difference between a suit that nakes you appear trim and one that is actually tight).

Brooks Brothers makes an excellent made-to-measure suit for under $1500. They've got so many different templates and fabrics to work off of, you can get a very unique and customizable suit. Furthermore, the quality will be far superior to that of the designer suits you're talking about: many of those will be fused whereas the BB suit will be fully canvassed. For the price, it's hard to beat Brooks Brothers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads