Newbie question about this Canali suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by That Guy, Aug 22, 2006.

1. That Guy

That Guy Member

Hi there, folks. I am looking to get my first "real" suit and have learned from this forum that (1) solid charcoal is a good bet and (2) Canali is a well-made suit.

Does this seem like a good option? Is it a good price for a wardrobe staple? Thanks!

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...der_id=2233755

2. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

that's way too much for that Canali suit, if you like Canali, go to Bloomingdale. I got one couple of months ago , a solid gun metal blue for 670. Evan @ that price, now I regret I may have paid too much for it, for 900 bucks, you should get an Isaia or the likes on STP or Saks sale.

But the suit itself looks nice though, just too much IMO.

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Yes, the suit is almost perfect for a "First Suit"!

SB solid Charcoal 2 button, with single pleat pants. It seems just right.

But I agree that you can probably do better. Start with STP, and go from there.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Is it a good price for a wardrobe staple?

It depends on the urgency of your need. If you need a solid charcoal suit now, then it's a good price. If you can afford to wait and be patient, you could do better at B&M sales or on eBay. Solid charcoals are hard to find heavily discounted. I saw some Canalis at 50% off ($650-$750) at Bloomingdales but no solid greys or navy.

Keep in mind that this STP suit is a lightweight wool suit and some Canali styles are boxy. STP has a good return policy.

5. That Guy

That Guy Member

It depends on the urgency of your need. If you need a solid charcoal suit now, then it's a good price. If you can afford to wait and be patient, you could do better at B&M sales or on eBay. Solid charcoals are hard to find heavily discounted. I saw some Canalis at 50% off ($650-$750) at Bloomingdales but no solid greys or navy.

Keep in mind that this STP suit is a lightweight wool suit and some Canali styles are boxy. STP has a good return policy.

That's the thing--I do need it rather urgently. I know it's not an amazing price, but it seems really hard to find great deals on solid gray suits. I feel like maybe I should bite the bullet on this wardrobe staple and then look for true bargains on secondary suits (pinstripes, windowpanes, etc.).

Thanks to all for your help.

6. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

At this moment suitsolutions4u has an Oxxford Charcoal suit for less (your best offer may be accepted). It looks nicer than the Canali. Size is 42L. Might have it in other sizes too.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...duct_id=221060

Same price, just as versatile, much higher quality. Dunno if it's your size though. Even if you do need a suit rather soon, do a quick check of VCH (the site to which I just linked) and Sierra Trading Post before you buy.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

I agree. It's a decent, but not spectacular price. If you can be patient, you aren't too particular about the silhouette, and you wear a common size, you can probably find a comparable charcoal suit for a better price within several months.

FWIW, I found a charcoal Canali in my rather rare 38L size at a SOF early this Summer for $520. I did a double take when I saw it and nearly fainted when I saw the price! I've been searching for more than a year.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Can you go to Bloomingdale's and see what kind of deal you can get--they always have 15% alone for opening an account?