• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie question about tailoring shirts

Eric3000

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new around here. Great site. I've found it to be invaluable and addictive. Quick question:

What does it mean to say a dress shirt has sleeves "designed to be tailored"? Does it simply mean that the sleeves have no placket/guantlet buttons in order to allow the sleeves to be more easily shortened? Does it mean anything else? Do shirts with this characteristic usually come with sleeves a bit longer because of the expectation that they will be tailored?

Thanks very much for the help.

Eric

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eric3000
Do shirts with this characteristic usually come with sleeves a bit longer because of the expectation that they will be tailored?
Eric

Thats it. No other special characteristics that I am aware of. Although the B&M where I get some Borrelli shirts offers both French and Button cuffs and give you both in case you want to change them out later. It is a nice touch imho.

Eric3000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g
Thats it. No other special characteristics that I am aware of. Although the B&M where I get some Borrelli shirts offers both French and Button cuffs and give you both in case you want to change them out later. It is a nice touch imho.

Thanks. So it only means that the sleeves come long? It seems to me if you are going to do that you would want to leave off the placket button in order not to create problems when the sleeves are shortened. If there is a placket button, and you need the long sleeves shortened more than an inch, the cuff area is going to look flawed.

pfr0g

Reaction score
My experience and knowledge is limited. But from the RTW shirts I have bought that had sleeves "made to tailor" I did not notice anything special. I am sure someone else on this forum will weigh in on this.

Eric3000

Reaction score
*bump* Can anybody lend a hand regarding this issue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics