• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie needs some shoe advice

bingobearface

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to finish my PhD and move on to new job. I just turned 30 and trying to transition to a more stylish wardrobe. My typical getup during grad school is a cargo short/jeans with a nice button down (untucked) and sandals.

Now I don't have a problem ditching the cargos, tucking in, and basically classing things up a bit. But the main issue I'm having is shoes. I'm trying to find a decent pair of loafers, but i can't help feeling self-conscious whenever I'm wearing a decent shoe. I'm pretty sure this just comes from it being the most drastic change to a style that basically hasn't changed for almost 7-8 years.

The most comfortable pair I have tried on are the Ecco 'classic moc' slip-ons, but I still cannot help but feel like these are shoes for a slightly older demo. Am I wrong in that? Basically I'm just wondering if these Eccos are fine for my age and my apprehension is more due to the personal change in style or if they are a bit 'older' style.

http://tinyurl.com/cxpybbl (these are the shoes in question)

If so, what's a better style/shoe that I should be looking at? Are the Eccos a good style for my age? I also checked out Sperry's...the boat shoes are OK but almost a little too much for me, the Eccos seemed a little more toned down. I should also mention that personally I'm more into classic styles than anything too trendy or flashy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Instead of those I'd advise you to try on a few pairs of unfussy brown lace-up shoes with leather soles. you may be surprise about the levels of comfort. Look in previous threads here for some suggested brands on a budget. You'll never look back.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I'm about to finish my PhD and move on to new job.  I just turned 30 and trying to transition to a more stylish wardrobe.  My typical getup during grad school is a cargo short/jeans with a nice button down (untucked) and sandals.  

Now I don't have a problem ditching the cargos, tucking in, and basically classing things up a bit.  But the main issue I'm having is shoes.  I'm trying to find a decent pair of loafers, but i can't help feeling self-conscious whenever I'm wearing a decent shoe.  I'm pretty sure this just comes from it being the most drastic change to a style that basically hasn't changed for almost 7-8 years.

The most comfortable pair I have tried on are the Ecco 'classic moc' slip-ons, but I still cannot help but feel like these are shoes for a slightly older demo.  Am I wrong in that?  Basically I'm just wondering if these Eccos are fine for my age and my apprehension is more due to the personal change in style or if they are a bit 'older' style. 

http://tinyurl.com/cxpybbl   (these are the shoes in question)

If so, what's a better style/shoe that I should be looking at? Are the Eccos a good style for my age?  I also checked out Sperry's...the boat shoes are OK but almost a little too much for me, the Eccos seemed a little more toned down.  I should also mention that personally I'm more into classic styles than anything too trendy or flashy.

Thanks!

Classic styles like cargo shorts, untucked shirts, and flipflops? Come on dude.

You are 30, not 17. You are done with high school. Sure, on a hot summer lounge day, put on the shorts and flip flops, but if you think those eccos are for an older demographic, you won't fit in well here.

LImorowman

Reaction score
Eccos are pretty comfortable, but before you buy them, what are other people in your profession wearing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads