• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie needs a suit. Max 700$.

Bau250

Reaction score
So it's time to invest in a new suit, and my first suit at that. I want something conservative that I can wear to many functions (weddings, funerals, formal functions, etc) and be stylish at the same time. I certainly like the looks of pinstripes. Is that a good all around type of suit?
I don't even know where to start... I have a wedding in October. Do I buy online or go into a local store?

If this helps, I'm 23 years old and live in the chicago arealand.

I also have an athletic build at 6'1. I know nothing about suits or fashion really, but I certainly don't want a suit that is 'boxy' or looks too big. I can't stand that. I like the slim look so I can somewhat show off my body, but not TOO slim. If that makes sense...

Thanks guys.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202
BB Fitzgerald in grey flannel or navy blue solid. Do not go for the stripes until you have at least 1 (preferrably both) of those staples.

BTW, please don't wear stripes to a wedding or funeral. Stripes are strictly business.

If you search this site, you'll find a ton of info on this topic.

+1

gamma1234

Reaction score
BB = Brooks Brothers, in case you are confused.

I picked up a BB suit from the LaSalle St. location (Chicago), they were very helpful for my first time suit purchase.

Bau250

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It looks like the BB suits are $900+ though..
eh.gif

MoxJr

Reaction score
Do the BB fitzgeralds ever go on sale or are they pretty much staple @ that price?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MoxJr
Do the BB fitzgeralds ever go on sale or are they pretty much staple @ that price?

You can get two of them for about $1400. It's not really a great deal for the first one, but if you get two then it's pretty manageable. That might not be particularly helpful if you just need/can afford one.

MoxJr

Reaction score
dam... well any alternatives/better value suits than the BB for around or under that price point?

junior varsity

Reaction score
fitzgerald is more than $700
you wont fine anything at the retail stores that is 'forum approved quality' for $700 MSRP

Bau250

Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
fitzgerald is more than $700 you wont fine anything at the retail stores that is 'forum approved quality' for $700 MSRP
Anything online approved for >700$?

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bau250
Anything online approved for <700$?

brooks brothers have like an annual sale but that is way before october.
i'd go to nordstrom and check out what they have.
forum would not approve fused suits, but jesus christ 99% of the people dont even know what fused or canvassed suits are.
imo just get whatever that fits well, and within the price range and call it a day.
all of my suits are fused, doesnt matter if they are hugo boss, burberry, or dolce and gabbana. they didnt fall apart after a couple dry cleaning trips like forum people claims, they didnt disintegrate after a couple seasons of wear.

this forum people are enthusiasts - same with the car enthusiasts that i also deal with who put $200 pure brasilian wax, that was intended on a half-million-dollar ferrari enzo, on a $5000 1999 bmw 323i

all obscenely obnoxious in their beliefs.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It looks like the BB suits are $900+ though..
eh.gif

They have $200 off on purchases over $800. Spend a little extra and get it tailored to your body: Brooks Brothers does not finish their in-store suits until you buy it and they measure you. Good fit every time (assuming you're not weird in comparison to the rack figure).

factorial

Reaction score
You actually can get a Fitzgerald for about $700 pretty easily. With the sale going on right now, these are $900 and there is a $200 off purchases over $800: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...tionsize=#null This offer is valid in stores as well so you should have no problem going in. I would also suggest that you hit Nordstrom Rack and take a look at the John Varvatos Star USA stuff there. They are not "forum approved" suits in terms of construction (they are fused construction, not half-canvassed like the BB Fitzgerald) but they work well for an athletic build without a lot of tailoring (they have a 7" drop which is a bit larger than standard) and one would run you about $400 instead of $700. Also may be worth looking for Hickey Freeman suits at the Rack. Nordstrom Rack also carries a lot of Hugo Boss stuff, which hasn't worked for me personally. For reference, I'm 24, 6'2", 175 lbs and have a 7"-8" drop, and take a 40L in the John Varvatos Star USA suits and Brooks Fitzgerald but a 42L in suits that are more "fashion cut" like Ralph Lauren Black Label or Versace. The advice you already got about color is good (charcoal with no stripes is the most basic color that works for the most occasions, navy is almost equally basic, and from there you can branch out into medium grays, khakis/tans, and pinstripes.)

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Club Monaco. One on Halsted, one on Damen. $400 suit, fully canvased, functional button holes. Not as classic as Brooks Brothers, not as expensive either.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are going to get more bang for your buck online but you carry the risk of buying a suit that doesnt fit. I am relatively new to this area as well. My first suit was a pinstripe, charcoal Burberry suit that I bought at a Sak Fifth Outlet for $650. I love the suit but I bought a just as nice 100% wool silver DKNY on ebay for $200 and then spent $100 getting it tailored. Needless to say it looks better on me than does the Burberry. The Burberry is of course a better suit (better materials, fabric, stitching, lining) but you cant beat the fit of a well fitted suit.

If you are buying online go to your tailor and have them measure your chest size, arm length, pant length, etc. This will allow you to purchase a suit that fits you relatively well. Then use an extra $100 or so for tailoring.

As for color, I would go with a dark charcoal in light - medium weight. The weight has to do with the thickness of the fabric. Chicago temp varies greatly so it may be hard to have just one suit.

Goodluck!

So it's time to invest in a new suit, and my first suit at that. I want something conservative that I can wear to many functions (weddings, funerals, formal functions, etc) and be stylish at the same time. I certainly like the looks of pinstripes. Is that a good all around type of suit?
I don't even know where to start... I have a wedding in October. Do I buy online or go into a local store?

If this helps, I'm 23 years old and live in the chicago arealand.

I also have an athletic build at 6'1. I know nothing about suits or fashion really, but I certainly don't want a suit that is 'boxy' or looks too big. I can't stand that. I like the slim look so I can somewhat show off my body, but not TOO slim. If that makes sense...

Thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads