• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(newbie) need a cool stylish suit for a wedding on saturday.. help!

sonic

Reaction score
hi,
I am a newbie to this forum and fashion in general, but would like a cool suit that i could wear at a wedding and also out for night life type events. my budget is flexible and i am thinking in the range of 300-800$. any advice would be well appreciated, thanks!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you also need a suits for interviews, then you should get something stylish - the search function will turn up lots of suggestions. If you can afford to dedicate a suit to social functions, you can consider something fashionable - but keep in mind that black is bad taste for weddings!

sonic

Reaction score
thanks,

no interview suit needed, just wedding and outing events.

like i said wedding is this saturday so time is an issue. i figure if i find something today or tomorrow there is still some time for any alterations needed.

i should also mention that i live in NYC so if anyone knows a good shop i could go to, that would be really great, as i definitely wouldnt trust my self to pick it
smile.gif

the best suit i have is from banana republic .. hehe $360 - 15% new card discount.. not bad for the money but its gotten a bit shaggy after couple dozen wears.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have any styling preferences? If not, I'd suggest you go to a Saks, Neiman or other such store and try on some suits, to see what you like and see how they look on you. Once you've found something you like, we can help you find a good price on it or something similar. (And offer advice on getting the best quality for your buck.)

Most suits that retail for $300-$800 will not be very good quality. Stay away from low- to mid-range department stores for this purpose. With a bit of looking, you can find something very nice within your budget.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, the wedding is this Saturday! That hadn't registered when I wrote my reply. This will make life a bit trickier. As you're in NYC, I'd suggest a trip to Century 21 to see what they have on hand. Read up on some good brands here and then see what you can find.

sonic

Reaction score
hmm
there is a sacks fifth avenue right next to where i work, but this is THE sacks ON fifth avenue, so i assume the prices will be astronomical!
i suppose i could give it a shot...

sonic

Reaction score
DocHoliday

i used to live near century store and have been there on few occasions, but it struck me as store similar to SYMS ( which is also near me ).. in that it has good brand names, but the style seems to be from 5 years ago.

one possible downside to SYMS is that employees there would most likely not know what is fashionable. i was hoping to achieve a cool look sort of like in men's magazines fashion section.. i already have a couple of decent suits, but wanted something more "cool".

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's going to be a matter of a finding a maker you like at a price you can afford. Oxxford makes a great suit, but it's probably not the style for you. Have you tried Canali or Corneliani? Both can be found on discount, and if you're lucky, there might even be some at Century 21. (Like all discounters, Century 21 can be very hit or miss, but they do get very nice stuff in. It just sells very fast.)

sonic

Reaction score
thanks doc !

i will try SYMS as that is a short walk away and report about my finidngs.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonic
DocHoliday i used to live near century store and have been there on few occasions, but it struck me as store similar to SYMS ( which is also near me ).. in that it has good brand names, but the style seems to be from 5 years ago. one possible downside to SYMS is that employees there would most likely not know what is fashionable. i was hoping to achieve a cool look sort of like in men's magazines fashion section.. i already have a couple of decent suits, but wanted something more "cool".
If you are after "cool", i.e. a fashionable suit that will likely be out of fashion in a year or so, I'd suggest checking out Zara, H&M, Banana Republic, Express Men, etc. Unless you have a lot of money just hanging around and feel some urgent need to spend it, and even if, it would be a waste to spend near the top of your range in my opinion. With "fashion" suits, all the extra expenditure in your price range is going to get you is a larger marketing budget for the brand.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
like how old are you? What sort of brands do you like?

If by 'cool' you mean 'trendy/flair' with 'modern' details, I guess you'll go for a designer suit. Whilst by no means mutually exclusive, quality suits tend not to be trendy.

I second the Canali suggestion; have a good look in Century 21 - there seemed to be some last week.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sonic-

Itis too hard to form an informed opinion on the style from the photo. However, I assume you are NOT considering ordering mail order with the limited time available to you. Keep in mind that you will also need to find a tailor to, at a minimum, address the cuffs. In all likelihood, you may need to take in pants or shorten/lengthen sleeves. I echo the suggestion re: Zara and H&M. Good price point and, IIRC, you can buy as separates, which will give you more control over size issues.

sonic

Reaction score
chobochobo,
i am 32 and far from having a favorite suit label, however, designer suits seem like they would be most modern and stand out in a subtle way over the conservative and classic looking ones. than again this is new york, so there is probably 1000 smaller places that hand tailor suits and/or import brands that i've never heard of. designer suit that i would know and like is HUGO and i've already felt the negative sentiment towards such brands here. i will check out canali tonight for sure.
thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads