• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie looking to get started....questions/suggestions

gabby11303

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm totally new here and am looking to pretty much start all over with wardrobe. Everything I wear is pretty much casual. Maybe once a year I have to get "dressed up" and that usually consists of dress pants and a shirt/tie. The only thing I ever wear to work are jeans with the occasional corduroy. I'm looking to start all over and keep a pretty casual look. As of now my closet consists of jeans, one pair of cords, short sleeve solid polos, a few long sleeve button ups (vertical stripes), a few long sleeve western type button ups, plain T shirts, a few band T's. My shoes are pretty bad. I've mostly been wearing my Puma Romas from last year with jeans and a T shirt to work this summer.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but need to start dressing a little better for work etc. The first purchase I made is a pair of clark desert boots in beeswax. Need to get something else in black. Kind of casual like the desert boot. Also Looking to get a one or two new pair of jeans. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but since I only have the brown boots, can you wear black jeans with the brown boots? I wasn't sure if that was a big no no. If so, what color shirt would go with that?

Also, I really need a good winter coat. Something not too nice, but not too casual. I was maybe thinking a pea coat. Where can I get a decent 6 button one?

Anyway, just looking to get going in the right direction with what to wear with what, colors, necessary items, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I didn't read what you wrote, sorry. I'll just go ahead and save you some trouble.

Everyone hear is going to say this, most likely.

Apc New Standards
American Apparel via Trendy Blanks
Chucks or Jack Purcells
Allen Edmonds for Dress shoes
uhm m m m m...

am I forgetting something, ohh size down 12 and uhh read the small questions thread located
here

gabby11303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
WHere do you work
How old are you
What is your budget

I have an IT job, but I can wear pretty much anything I want.

I'm 30.

I don't have a budget. I don't think I'm going to spend a ton of money at once. I have clothes that I can wear for now so I thought I'd assemble stuff over time. But if I had to pick a budget, I'd say no more than $700-800

skidsm

Reaction score
i find it helpful to think in terms of how much use you will get out of each item. start out with essentials/basics, and think of how they can be used in a variety of capacities. if you wear jeans often, then a nice pair is worth the investment, because you'll be able to get your money's worth out of them. same with shoes, especially if you take care of them. gray suit. well-fitting oxfords in some basic colors. quality lace-ups in brown so you can wear them with gray or blue suits.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do great with $700. Our affiiliates offer great stuff for great discounts.

APC new standards $100

A couple of fitted tees $60 (once you know your size you can find AA shirts for wholesale on ebay)

2 good button ups around $150

AE park avenues $250 (if you look around)

1 or two nice knits about $200

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
You can do great with $700. Our affiiliates offer great stuff for great discounts. APC new standards $100 A couple of fitted tees $60 (once you know your size you can find AA shirts for wholesale on ebay) 2 good button ups around $150 AE park avenues $250 (if you look around) 1 or two nice knits about $200
what magical land are you finding new standards for $100 because i would like to travel there on my unicorn...

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
what magical land are you finding new standards for $100 because i would like to travel there on my unicorn...

Let me know also because I want a pair of APC's

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
You can do great with $700. Our affiiliates offer great stuff for great discounts.

APC new standards $100

A couple of fitted tees $60 (once you know your size you can find AA shirts for wholesale on ebay)

2 good button ups around $150

AE park avenues $250 (if you look around)

1 or two nice knits about $200

What brands make good button ups for around $75 a piece?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
What brands make good button ups for around $75 a piece?

he finds them at the same magical store that has $100 new standards and hot naked female sales associates...

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tooch4321;1292452 said:
In reference to oxford button ups:

RRL on sale I hear or on ebay can be had for that amount and many here attest to it being of good quality and slim fit-ment.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rocks;1292548 said:
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
In reference to oxford button ups: RRL on sale I hear or on ebay can be had for that amount and many here attest to it being of good quality and slim fit-ment.
i know, i own several rrl pieces from the denim to button-ups and my favorite henley, but since he is new and doesn't know how they fit then him wasting part of his budget on rrl or whatever with ebay doesn't make sense...

apocalypse later

Reaction score
No reason to get such expensive stuff to start.

I agree with getting a nice pair of jeans to start (APC NS or Rescue are always solid choices) but really, spending $75 on a button-up?

You can go to H&M and buy 3 sweaters, 3 button-ups, a few graphic tees, and a nice outwear piece for less than $200. Oh, and for those criticizing H&M stuff for falling apart: Yes, the stuff doesn't last forever, but at least you can get a handle on your style without breaking the bank.

Just make sure you don't be one of those guys like Kodiak that gets a 12-pack of blank AA t-shirts, dark denim, and boring Adidas shoes. It's boring and it's hardly "stylish" (you're just buying stuff that fits you right, which is NOT stylish).

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you had 5 AA shirts, a pair of dark denim, 1-2 pairs of sneakers that fit well that is an excellent starting point...

Then you can buy pieces as you see fit once you get a grip of your style...

If you have no idea how things fit then you will not get a good grasp of how you want to look, because things will look "off"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads