• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newb...

joyfulrebellion

Reaction score
hello...i'm knew to the forum. i'll be attending college in the fall, and i want to learn to dress well. any tips suggestions etc? i've never really paid attention to my wardrobe before so this is the first time i'll be doing some real shopping. what types of jeans fits should i be looking at? boot cut, relaxed etc. shirts sizes, i'm not sure which is the correct size for me. i tend to buy them too big. what can i do to dress well and make an impression on people in college. again newb here a desperate plea for help.

i dnno what style i'm even going for. i guess prep, i usually shop at the gap, or buy ralph lauren polo from macys but i dnno my outfits never come out looking good.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Step one is just to read here. You'll pick up a lot by osmosis. Then start looking for styles you like, and gradually integrate them into your wardrobe.

Just remember, the key thing is fit. If your clothes don't fit right, they'll never look good. Is there a reason you buy stuff that's too big?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Step one is just to read here. You'll pick up a lot by osmosis.

This is the best advice. There's no real way to give useful advice with a post like yours (no offense meant, its just this whole board is basically answering your question), so just read a bunch of threads. Look through the What Are You Wearing Today threads and, when you see something you like, plug it into the search function and read other threads relating to it. I sincerely believe there should be like a 2 month lurking "learner's permit" period before one can post on SF.

lotmoon_uk

Reaction score
You guys here are so nice comparing to some people on other forums, where they slag you off for whatever you might say on there, with their not very constructive comments.

Btw hi there ~I've been reading some stuff here for about a month, it definitely has broaden my scope especially in the suit and shoe area, very interesting
smile.gif
helps me in preparing for my first suit, which I would have to wear everyday after graduation
frown.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lotmoon_uk
helps me in preparing for my first suit, which I would have to wear everyday after graduation
frown.gif

Everyday? Yeeks. You'd better make that "first suits"

lotmoon_uk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Everyday? Yeeks. You'd better make that "first suits"

Well I hvn't even started my search for the first one! nevermind the second LOL

My preliminary plan is to get some cheap-ish suits, and get it altered when I go back to HK to see my parents (cheaper in HK?)and all before coming back and start job/interview!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're in the UK like your screenname suggests, it would be much cheaper to come to HK and get one made here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics