• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newb Question/Advice

OldDude

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this sounds like I have no idea what the hell I am doing but I don't. I am in need of some skilled advice. I am going to have to start wearing more business attire and while I don't want to empty my 401k on clothing I would like to look like I have some taste. So, I recently found a couple of Saint Andrews suits and wanted some advice on whether these were acceptable modern business attire. I would prefer not to look like I am wearing Salvation Army clothing. And before you ask, no I haven't purchased, nor worn a suit in 30 years so I am an idiot when it comes to recent styles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Suit#1
Suit#2

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, no good. It's old, and you don't want black. You'll be wanting a blue suit or two and a grey suit. You can't buy online, you need to go to an actual store on try on a bunch of jackets because that's the only way to get a suit that fits. If it doesn't fit, it'll look like crap.

Last edited:

OldDude

Reaction score
Nope, no good. It's old, and you don't want black. You'll be wanting a blue suit or two and a grey suit. You can't buy online, you need to go to an actual store on try one a bunch of jackets because that's the only way to get a suit that fits. If it doesn't fit, it'll look like crap.

Yep, exactly what I wanted to forego, the shopping deal. So blacks are a no go, too formal I suppose? Ok, thanks very much for the response. That puts me in the right direction.

aj805

Reaction score
That might not work for you--depending on your business environment, and yes because it might look old, and certainly if it doesn't fit well. And not with that particular tie...

However I've got a pinstripe suit in a similar fabric--and I love it. I think it looks great, because that color looks great on almost anyone. And while I understand the general #menswear advice against black suits--that others will associate you with a funeral, a Fellini character, or a Victorian-era banker--I feel that unless the occasion comes with solid expectations otherwise, a black suit could look smashing.

OldDude

Reaction score
We need more info. How old are you, what's your complexion, where do you live, what do you do?
I'm 47, pale, husky but proportioned and will be dressing for professional negotiations/financial discussions representing clients fairly frequently. Lastly, I live live in AL, not near the beach. I was actually looking at a Ralph Lauren blue windowpane earlier but thought it would make me look like I was trying to hard to look young. Honestly, I am just used to jeans or khakis and a nice white shirt and tie. It used to be easy.

OldDude

Reaction score
And I was going to have it a tailored. I umderstand it needs to be fitted properly. I went last week and had measurements taken and was basing my purchase ideas off of those measurements.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must try on jackets first to see if they fit in the shoulders and chest. If they don't fit there, it's beyond a tailor's help. You can learn this fact the hard way or the easy way. I suggest you benefit from the mistakes we've already made and go the easy way.

Blue is good, windowpane is ok, but you'll need plain suits. Keep it simple. As you're pale, avoid black at all costs. Shy away from grey too. Stick to blue.

Remember my mantra: you don't need to look different, you just need to look good.

Last edited:

OldDude

Reaction score
You must try on jackets first to see if they fit in the shoulders and chest. If they don't fit there, it's beyond a tailor's help. You can learn this fact the hard way or the easy way. I suggest you benefit from the mistakes we've already made and go the way.

Blue is good, windowpane is ok, but you'll need plain suits. Keep it simple. As you're pale, avoid black at all costs. Shy away from grey too. Stick to blue.

Remember my mantra: you don't need to look different, you just need to look good.
Great and I sincerely appreciate the help. Your comments have helped me more than the past week of solid research. Wish I had signed up last week.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me also recommend the following for you:

Dark brown shoes, dark brown belt.
Light blue dress shirts, and white/blue striped shirts.
Plain navy suit, middle blue suit.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How well the suit fits is by far the all-important criterion. Brand and price are irrelevant if the fit is perfect. Don't let sales people tell you that the tailor can fix anything. The only thing you want a tailor doing for you is shortening your sleeves and your trousers.

OldDude

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going shopping with my daughter tomorrow.

OldDude

Reaction score
Which store?
I have found most everything I like at Macy's but there is a custom suit shop here locally as well I am going to give a try. I just hope it isn't a bunch of Chinese crap, no disrespect meant to the nationality.

Yes, I will reply here when I find something I like. I'm sure I'll have more questions as well as the process continues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads