• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newb needs advice for a budget suit(around $500)

thereader

Reaction score
Hello SF, long time reader and first time poster.

Im a collage student. I planed to spend 2k on a nice MTM suit for my graduation and future job, but with the economic now Im not expecting to get a decent job anytime soon. I still need a suit for graduation and job interviews, so I shrinked my budget to around $500.

All I know is brand like BR ,Zara and Club Monaco. BR is kinda overpriced in Canada, could cost 600 plus tax. I have to wait until their sale. I like the fitting of Zara better than BR especially shirts, but their suit looks really cheap(or I expected too much). I read a thread about CT black label suit. I would love a trimmer fit but I m not sure the fitting on me and Canada custom is a pain in the ars so I dont want to go through the potential exchange or refund.

I know at this price range I cant expect quality fabric and good construction. Can you guys please gimme some advise of a nice fitting budget suit?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Ralph Lauren Polo suit would be a good option for that price. It is better to learn your measurements and buy from the Internet.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Tell me your size and I can see if I have something that will fit you in your price range.

Bargs

Reaction score
Check out a SF affiliate eHaberdasher - Ben just launched his own label Benjamin Sartorial Collection that looks to me a much better suit for the money than the stuff you mentioned.

He's got some posts on SF with photos and is great about answering questions.

Give it a look.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
Tell me your size and I can see if I have something that will fit you in your price range.

Same.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bargs
Check out a SF affiliate eHaberdasher - Ben just launched his own label Benjamin Sartorial Collection that looks to me a much better suit for the money than the stuff you mentioned.

He's got some posts on SF with photos and is great about answering questions.

Give it a look.

I just bought a Valentino Roma suit from them, and while it's not fully canvassed, I'm very happy with the fit and material. Great service.

thereader

Reaction score
Thx for the replies guys!
My size is 40R , pants32*32. eHaberdasher looks like a interesting website very good price, I will check Ben's collection.

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereader
Hello SF, long time reader and first time poster.

Im a collage student. I planed to spend 2k on a nice MTM suit for my graduation and future job, but with the economic now Im not expecting to get a decent job anytime soon. I still need a suit for graduation and job interviews, so I shrinked my budget to around $500.

All I know is brand like BR ,Zara and Club Monaco. BR is kinda overpriced in Canada, could cost 600 plus tax. I have to wait until their sale. I like the fitting of Zara better than BR especially shirts, but their suit looks really cheap(or I expected too much). I read a thread about CT black label suit. I would love a trimmer fit but I m not sure the fitting on me and Canada custom is a pain in the ars so I dont want to go through the potential exchange or refund.

I know at this price range I cant expect quality fabric and good construction. Can you guys please gimme some advise of a nice fitting budget suit?

Go here The Wizard of Aahs. Jeff should also give you a discount if you contact him and let him know you are an SFer.

thereader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
I just bought a Valentino Roma suit from them, and while it's not fully canvassed, I'm very happy with the fit and material. Great service.

That website got some incredible price! 399 for Valentino?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereader
Thx for the replies guys!
My size is 40R , pants32*32. eHaberdasher looks like a interesting website very good price, I will check Ben's collection.

He's a drop 8. Most OTR will need alteration. Try Z Zegna--can be had on sale for well under 500--the "Drop 8" model, with the slanted buttonholes on the sleeves.

You could also try calling the Ralph Lauren outlet in Woodbury commons and seeing if they have any Black Label suits in your size, however even then you'd probably need to alter the pants.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Gilt.com has some Black Label suits on sale. StyleForum's link for it is probably above under the affiliate advertisers, you can get a membership just by being an SF member. The sale on Gilt has already been running for a day or two though, so a lot of the good stuff is probably already gone. These have a more athletic cut, and are very slim in general.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $500, you could always go with TAT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads