Newb Allen Edmonds questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HughJ, Jun 13, 2011.

1. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Hi All:

I'm having a bit of buyers remorse on a pair of AE shoes I bought yesterday, and was wondering if someone could chime in with some advice on whether I should return them.

Essentially, I bought a pair of shoes one width too narrow because the pair that fit me better were dyed noticeably darker. Same model, both supposed to be burgundy, but a marked difference between the two. I'd go as far as saying the other pair could be mistaken for brown. Now they don't fit terribly, but it bothers me that they could fit a tiny bit better. Which brings me to my questions.....is this common for AE? If I return them for the slightly wider shoe, will the colour mellow out over time/wear?

Apologies if this has been covered. I waded through 8 pages of search results to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

2. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

If it were me, I'd compromise on color before I'd compromise on fit. Unless you're getting a good deal, why compromise at all?

x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?

4. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker

6. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

use some darker polish on them for a while and they will end up a bit darker

OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

OP wrote that he wanted them lighter, not darker. Although there might be some small color loss if you only use neutral/clear polishes, you can't make shoes significantly lighter with polishing.

You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.

8. Dicky Dicardo

Dicky Dicardo Senior member

The more narrow ones may stretch to a comfortable size.

9. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

This

10. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Thanks for all the replies. They're going back eventually, hopefully in an exchange. It's going to be painful staring at shiny brand new shoes and not wearing them until then.....but I suppose less painful than wearing them [​IMG]

x2

Did they only have one pair in your correct size?

They had 3 pairs in size 10, the best looking being 10D, the best fitting being 10E.
    The color probably won't fade out in an appreciable way. I think that fit ought to come before color, and even then, the nature of deals is that they tend to resurface from time to time. If you're patient, you could probably compromise less.
    You're absolutely right. I have a couple months to return them, so I'll keep checking back on their stock to see if I can't find a lighter pair that fit properly.
    You could try bleaching them by leaving them in the sun, I suppose.
    This is also what the salesman suggested. The pair on display were the lightest to support this thinking, but I was hoping that someone could confirm with their own experience.