1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

new Zegna light grey dress pants - tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dastz, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dastz

dastz Member

Hi.
    I have a new pair of very nice Zegna flat front light-ish gray (not dark charcoal but not pale gray...maybe a cement color?) dress pants. I'm thinking of pairing them with a black blazer and white shirt. What color tie do you suggest? The shirt is a slim fitting button down, if that matters.
    New to the forum. thanks in advance for your help

2. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Your ensemble is entirely composed of neutrals, so I'd pick any color tie I felt like wearing. My ideal choice would be a tie with a warm background color like red, though, probably with some black, gray, and/or white in it.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

First, because the other pieces are neutrals, you do need some color in the tie. An easy way to narrow down your options is to consider personal coloring. For example, if you have sallow skin, don't wear a tie with much yellow in it. Likewise, a red tie and ruddy skin don't go well together. If you have blue eyes, a good choice is a tie with that shade of blue and maybe a little gray. No matter your coloring, it's hard to go wrong with a medium shade of blue. Probably you should not wear a paisley tie with that outfit.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

Today I wore grey slacks, black blazer, white shirt, and a light blue grenadine. I think any color would look good with this combo.

5. danderton5

danderton5 Member

Follow the coloring of yourself (skin/eyes/hair) and play with contrasting tones like the above person mentioned. I have have a royal blue/black/white striped tie that I usually wear with an outfit like yours.