• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New york times: styleforum and askandy

dorian

Reaction score
Please see the below link for an interesting look on what is to come... http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...?TOPIC_ID=3192 Nevermind the link, actually, since AA is so unreliable. In summary, the NYT will be running an article on men's fashion sites and forums. AlanC was approached by a reporter writing the article, which will likely be in print on Tuesday. I wonder what the effect of this will be. GQ Forum, I hope not.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
moderation will become even more important now...

the whole issue of hosting/moderating forums really begs for a book - any of you writers out there, this is got to be the next '...for dummies' title. go make some money.

/andrew

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, I've been on other forums that the NYT has made public, and the effect has been minimal. Don't expect an influx of morons either, I willing to bet the effect will be positive.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
We will get people asking if Sears or Penny's makes a better wash-and-wear shirt. Imagine the run on the Grensons.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
i'm not so sure - people who find this forum on their own usually are looking for something not found commonly. for instance, i found it when i was searching for mother-of-pearl collar stays and a post here had some info. i'm not trying to be elitist but ...

when a wide publication paper like the nyt runs an article and says something good about styleforum or aa - there is an initial rush of people who think it's cool to post here and come and bombard the forum with meaningless posts. admittedly, they disappear after a while or are booted out. so in conclusion -

in the long run, it might be a net positive, but short term it might add to the "noise".

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What bugs me about this is that we had earlier discussed whether or not to publicize this site. And, it seemed that we had all pretty much agreed not to. I think the logic was that since this would require a lot more moderation and work from Steve B, it should be Steve's decision whether or not he wanted to do publicity like this. If Steve said it was okay, fine. But, if Steve didn't have any input into this decision, then I think that was a mistake.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you read the thread on Ask Andy, it says that the reporter reads these forums. So it was going to get reported on anyway. I don't have a problem with it, it was bound to happen sooner or later, and I think the result could be a good one. Perhaps the wise advice of the gentlemen on this forum will end up having more effect than we could imagine..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Steve emailed me about this and said a reporter had left him a message and would I rather talk to her. I told Steve he could probably represent the forum as well as or better than I could and that if she wanted to talk to me I would talk to her. In any case, I don't mind.

If we have a perceived need for more moderation I will accept nominations (and in fact, I would accept them anyway, so as not to overwork Steve). Of course I have my own short list and Steve probably does as well, but any suggestions are welcome. I don't get around the forum much lately (been busy) but I try to at least read my PMs every day and there's always my email as well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you pay J $100,000 he will make you a moderator. As J's agent, I will get 20%.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or, as my other agent Steve B. responded (on my behalf) to an enquiry by a certain multibillionaire magnate, the asking price for the forum itself is USD 1,000,000. As Steve was the agent of record for that particular transaction he would have gotten the commission, but unfortunately the deal fell through. Apparently there was an expensive wedding and resources were tight.

Anyone who can bring a buyer at the current asking price is welcome to the commission of 20%.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't have been kalra, would it?
biggrin.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or, as my other agent Steve B. responded (on my behalf) to an enquiry by a certain multibillionaire magnate, the asking price for the forum itself is USD 1,000,000. As Steve was the agent of record for that particular transaction he would have gotten the commission, but unfortunately the deal fell through. Apparently there was an expensive wedding and resources were tight. Anyone who can bring a buyer at the current asking price is welcome to the commission of 20%.
HAHAHAHA. Very funny
biggrin.gif
Anyways, look for my PM... Jon.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up - I'll have to pick up a copy of the Times on Tuesday.

Bradford

P.S. Steve - were you able to work in a plug for the book?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Spoke to the reporter today. She was very nice, and I think the article will be quite interesting. I believe she will also talk to J. I'm told she's a Sunday style section writer, so we may not see the article till next Sunday.

Once again, kudos to all Forum members. You make the Forum what it is.

And yes, a small book plug was interjected.

I'm determined to make the second edition involve the Forum, and will begin work on it in soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics