New york times article is on line

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Nice work, everyone. As someone who isn't familiar with the layout of the NYT, what page is this on?
    Office manager?. I'd always hoped you were the Jeremy Jackson - you know, Hobie from Baywatch?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Sorry dude. I tried to tell her I'm moving into computer consulting, but it looks like she didn't write that part down.

Also, for the record, when I said I have no idea what these people are talking about, she was asking me about the discussions on different last types of different shoes, which, it's true, I have no idea about.

Oh, and it's in the Metro section. Fashion & Style page, I guess. For those who want to read the article without registering, use the username/pass:

styleforum / attolini

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

LOL. Twins. (and they even dress alike...) You two sharing closets? [​IMG] JJF

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe they're really the same person. Has anyone ever seen both of them in the same room at the same time?

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Congrats again to Steve and J. (even if he doesn't know what anyone is talking about...hehe) A reasonably bland, and semi-informative article that should draw some new blood 'round here.

J, that reporter made you sound like kind of a ditz. I think you should persure some legal action for libel or defamation of character or something.

Just a thought.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Oh, like we're supposed to take your word for it...

Congratulations, J, Steve.

Regards,
    Huntsman

8. j

Well, maybe I am a ditz, did you ever think of that? Huh?

Yeah, I know. I was quoted out of context, yada yada, etc. Like I said, I really do have no idea what the 'best EG last' people are talking about, other than that I could give a layman a vague idea of what their terminology means. Not that there's anything wrong with discussing such things, but I don't think I would be faulted for ignorance there.

9. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I dont think that celebrities or people in the public eye can sue for libel... Oh and yes, J. We DID think of that Ditz possibility [​IMG] ... [​IMG] JJF

10. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

The thing that bothered me was that how the article was skewed. To me, this forum isn't about finding good deals or whatnot. Instead, its about learning the diff. between the hype and the underlying quality, so you can recognize whether or not something is really good.

It would have been cool if it had just said how we're interested in finer things, but I dislike how she implied how this was a great place to snoop out bargains. I'm just afraid we'll get all these people who don't really care, and are only interested in picking our brains for bargains. Like the gresons. They won't know why its good, but they'll buy it like how they buy Polo.

Besides, I don't like the implication that people here are necesssairly professionals. They are plenty of college students here too, and not everybody here is trying to grab the brass ring.

I wonder how much research would actually go into a piece into like this. I mean, there's a big diff between this and the askandy forum. I don't know if she realized that. And, we also have LAGuy to represent and educate everybody here on streetwear which you wouldn't have realized from the article.

11. j

I liked the fact that she emphasized it was for clothing connoisseurs more than fashion followers. I think the article was fine based on the fact that she couldn't have done a lot of research to get to know the intimate personality of the place. Actually there was barely anything about bargain hunting; less than there easily could have been. Most of the article is about the depth of knowledge and discussion (sometimes bordering on obsession) about various subjects.

12. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Obsessed? Us? Whatever do you mean??  [​IMG] I loved the article. Not 100% accurate, but overall very positive IMO. Say, does anybody know anything about those Vass shoes? I hear they are the next big thing  [​IMG]

13. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

cheers to j and steve. [​IMG]

14. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

if i get some 8's...i will be sure you and maidshouseknee are the first to know, how does that sound?

15. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

(norcaltransplant @ 27 Sep. 2004, 7:48) Great...now even more competition for those elusive size 8's.
    if i get some 8's...i will be sure you and maidshouseknee are the first to know, how does that sound?
    [​IMG] you're famous now chris - nyt plug and all. i'm sure it can't be bad for business - congratulations.