• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Times article about Bergdorf Goodman

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/fa.../12critic.html What did you guys think of this article? One of the ironies behind it is that the author's husband is an incredibly successful British businessman/financier. They live at 740 Park Avenue, arguably the most exclusive co-op in New York. And even he thinks that many of the items in BG are too pricey..

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related topic, there was an interesting article I read recently related to the Neiman-Marcus sale. In describing how NM has been very successful selling an image and lifestyle as well as clothes (similar to RL I suppose), it said that the top 100,000 customers at NM spend on average $11,000 per year at Neimans. Those numbers are not typos. If $11,000 is the average, there have to be some people spending some serious bucks there. I'd be interested to know what the number is for the median.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Similarly, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that at high-end stores, a couple thousand customers account for a disproportionately high percentage of sales. Especially if you treat Bergdorf's separately from other NM stores.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Typical, someone purchasing items who knows hardly anything about them:

"At $345 a pop, Charvet shirts are top-of-the-line expensive, but they do last. The salesman said the shirts would be ready by Friday, and that since we live right by the stop where he caught his bus, he would deliver them himself."

They last? ??? I can make a GAP shirt last for 10 years too. Just purchase enough of them and rotate them frequently and watch them last. There is no need to pay that much money if you only want a shirt that "˜lasts'.

"Brioni and Kiton, the ultrafabulous Italian designers"

Neither are considered "˜designers' frankly I'm tired of that term thrown around for every label in fashion, they are clothing houses, manufacturers and sartoria's, not "˜designers'.

"There's bottled water. On ice. With napkins"

Oh, ah...napkins.

HAHAHAHA, this is how you know a person is too enthralled with labels and not quality:

"The headwaiter was wearing a multicolored striped shirt.
"Etro?" I asked.
"Gap," he said."

But, one good thing, they have a vintage Rolex for $3,300, Ernest time for a trip to NYC.

Jon.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
But, one good thing, they have a vintage Rolex for $3,300, Ernest time for a trip to NYC.
Maybe the French welfare state will pay for his plane ticket.

tgfny

Reaction score
She's a client. I would think that 960 Fifth is more prestigious than 740 Park. Had Thanksgiving dinner at a sick duplex in 740 and it's an amazing place.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Overpriced merchandise aside, Bergdorf's is still an awesome men's store. The article will be great publicity.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
She's a client. I would think that 960 Fifth is more prestigious than 740 Park. Had Thanksgiving dinner at a sick duplex in 740 and it's an amazing place.
Let's put it this way: how many apartment buildings in New York inspire their own book: http://www.amazon.com/exec....=glance Some other desirable co-ops: 998 5th, 834 5th. On CPW, The Dakota, The San Remo. I also like the El Dorado but the snootier people think it's too far uptown.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
#1: 998 5th
#2: 820 5th
#3: 4 East 66th
#4: 834 5th
#5: 770 Park
#6: 625 Park
#7: 1020 5th
#8: 660 Park
#9: River House
#10: 740 Park

Just my own biased, subjective, off-the-cuff assessment, for what it's worth.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Which one of these do you live at?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
None. I spend too much on clothes.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related topic, there was an interesting article I read recently related to the Neiman-Marcus sale. In describing how NM has been very successful selling an image and lifestyle as well as clothes (similar to RL I suppose), it said that the top 100,000 customers at NM spend on average $11,000 per year at Neimans. Those numbers are not typos. If $11,000 is the average, there have to be some people spending some serious bucks there. I'd be interested to know what the number is for the median.
blame my mother

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm. I think I have a role model.

Wait, that's referring to Manton's post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads