1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New York Times article about Bergdorf Goodman

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patrick Bateman, May 12, 2005.

1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Distinguished Member

You must really like River House [​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Layouts aren't as good and not enough fireplaces. Â But I love the architecture and the room scales. Â Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it, I would live there. Â But if I could live absolutely anywhere, I would live at 4 East 66th. Â Personal taste. I do think that 770 is a better building architecturally than 740 -- Candela's best. Â That says nothing about its exclusivity, however.

3. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

I'll definitely read Gross's new book. How do you not have 960 on your list? Not enough apartments? You have to have a hundy large to even be considered by the board. Only 15 people and its a global who's who. Â Ya got Gustavo, Pepe, and Edgar. My absolute favorite in 1009 5th (I think, SE corner of 82nd, Italianate job accross from the Met entrance) I think it was Doris Duke who was born there. http://www.corcoran.com/propert....=771303 http://www.elliman.com/MainSite/Comp...il.aspx?ID=396 The Observer declares 960 Fifth Avenue"”where anyone with less than $100 million is "considered poor""”the "most exclusive co-op" in the city. The building has 10,000 square foot suites and a private restaurant with a Paris-trained chef"”open only to tenants. (One imagines Anne Bass daintily scooping Beluga out of Baccarat bowls while discussing vacations in Caribbean locales close to her money.) Walk through the front entrance in anything less than Chanel and expect to be mistaken for "the help." http://www.gawker.com/topic/960-fifth-avenue-010250.php http://www.thecityreview.com/ues/fifave/fif960.htm

4. Manton

Well, as I said, my list is subjective.  I'm not as impressed with the building.  And there are easily more than 10 buildings in NYC which require cash on hand of at least $100 mil, so somebody had to be left out.

998 is more "exclusive," I would guess, because it's not just about $.  So is 820.  At least that's what I've heard.

5. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

But 1009 is on the market. It's only $50. You game? In terms of lucky sperm playboys, ya gotta admit, 960 has a high ratio. Why the love of River House? I believe that Susan Guettfriend's now on the board there.

6. Patrick Bateman

Gutfreund

7. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

From this review http://www.thecityreview.com/ues/fifave/fif988.htm "Right in the middle of Fifth Avenue's "Museum Mile," 988 Fifth Avenue.... It is also only a block away from cross-town bus service and is convenient to a supermarket on Madison Avenue." Yeah, cause its residents are taking public transportation.

8. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

I didn't know how to spell it when I worked at Salomon, I sure could care less now. At least I didn't describe her as the former flight attendant [​IMG]

9. Manton

1) Architectural masterpiece on the outside; very impressive on the inside, if a notch down from the tippy-top tier. 2) Fights above its weight class. Â Unlike most of the other top buildings, it is not small, not on the Upper East Side, not bursting with fireplaces, and not pre-1929 (or pre WWI, in the case of some of the snobbiest). Â Yet it still manages to draw incredible prices and maintain a very high level of cache. Â It's sort of a "wild card." Look, 740 is better building qua building, overall. Â (The layouts are much better.) Â I could be persuaded that it is more "exclusive" though of course I don't have an owners list for either. Â River House just has that je ne sais quois. Or maybe I'm just full of it. Anyway the Rockefeller triplex in 740 is, architecturally, one of the two or three best extant apartments in NYC, and one of the four or five best ever built. Â The individual apartments are bigger and grander. Â But if I had to name my favorite Candela building, in terms of architectural achievement, I would say 770.

10. Manton

I would be, but I owe my tailors too much. Sigh.

11. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

Went to a dinner party at the Mellons' at 92nd and Fifth. Great building as well. RL is in the same building.

12. Patrick Bateman

(Patrick Bateman @ May 12 2005,14:00) Gutfreund
    I didn't know how to spell it when I worked at Salomon, I sure could care less now. At least I didn't describe her as the former flight attendant [​IMG]
    LOL you aren't accusing her of being a social climber are you? [​IMG]

13. Patrick Bateman

Would love to hear your list of these, Manton.

14. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

(tgfny @ May 12 2005,14:05)
    Gutfreund
    LOL you aren't accusing her of being a social climber are you? Â [​IMG]
    Wel that's not what she climbed onto [​IMG]

15. tgfny

tgfny Senior Member

(Manton @ May 12 2005,14:06) Anyway the Rockefeller triplex in 740 is, architecturally, one of the two or three best extant apartments in NYC, and one of the four or five best ever built.
    Would love to hear your list of these, Manton.
    Is that the Saul Steinberg apartment?