• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York restaurant adds 18% service charge for Indians because they don't tip.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
No word on how they treat Canadians.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/..._source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsource

Restaurant imposes ‘ethnic’ tips: suit
By BRUCE GOLDING
Last Updated: 3:07 AM, September 13, 2011
Posted: 1:57 AM, September 13, 2011

This Indian dinner allegedly came with an extra-large helping of discrimin-ation and a side of assault.
Two patrons filed suit against the Baluchi’s restaurant chain yesterday over claims that their bill was illegally padded with an “automatic” 18 percent gratuity reserved for South Asian customers.
Abe Shah and Hema Virani also charge that they were physically attacked by a worker after leaving Baluchi’s eatery in Forest Hills, Queens, without paying the alleged ethnic surcharge.
The Brooklyn federal court suit seeks unspecified damages over what the duo’s lawyer, Denise Shulman, called the “shameful and appalling” incident.
According to court papers, Shah, who is of Pakistani descent, and Virani, who is Indian, were slapped with the mandatory gratuity when they got their check on May 12.
Shah demanded to speak with the manager, who admitted that the restaurant added the charge for “Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi customers because ‘they never tip,’ ” the suit says.
A woman who answered the restaurant’s phone last night said no one was available to comment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...c_tips_suit_X3zcz6Zc8DhbgOBmsOdQkI#ixzz1ZAc4G
ECe

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Apparently, they were too indignant to. I'm sure it can be deducted from the settlement.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip?

Now? Cool.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously?

I bet Fuuma just leaves ashes in the check book and considers the waiter lucky to receive it.

Last edited:

BlacKidLA

Reaction score
So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip?
Now? Cool.

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance.

I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.
Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.
People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance.
There is an inverse relationship between generosity of tips and how evil a group of people is, which is why white men tip the most. Fight the power.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.
Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.
People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.
Did you really just pull the "seeing color" card? Are you actually implying that you don't see color? :laugh: I thought only old white people trotted out that delusional ****. And saying "you can't make a generalization" right before you say "people like you"? Classic. :slayer:

Last edited:

BlacKidLA

Reaction score
Did you really just pull the "seeing color" card? Are you actually implying that you don't see color?
laugh.gif
I thought only old white people trotted out that delusional ****.
And saying "you can't make a generalization" right before you say "people like you"? Classic.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Actually, I don't see color. I think everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves regardless of color, and I give people that chance. If you feed into the stereotype, then so be it.

And I didn't make a generalization, he just proved that he buys into stereotypes. So yes, PEOPLE LIKE HIM are the reason WE CAN'T GET PAST COLOR.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Actually, I don't see color. I think everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves regardless of color, and I give people that chance. If you feed into the stereotype, then so be it.

And I didn't make a generalization, he just proved that he buys into stereotypes. So yes, PEOPLE LIKE HIM are the reason WE CAN'T GET PAST COLOR.
Quality comeback playa

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So one is expected to pay a fifth of the bill AS A TIP?!
They'd have to impose it on not only "Indians" if I visited the home of the free.
Go, America, Go!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads