• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York restaurant adds 18% service charge for Indians because they don't tip.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BunkandKimaWTF.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance.
I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.
Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.
People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.
Thank you being the exception that proves the rule. If you people would be better, SF wouldn't hate people like you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip? Now? Cool.
Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance.
I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.
Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.
People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.
Just for the record, it's way more fun to make fun of people who don't get sarcasm. And also, he used "BlackKidLA" because LA Guy was already taken, and LA Kid would have made him look like my sidekick.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its odd. my gf does party planning for children's bday parties and says that indians tip more often and much much more than any other ethnicity.

rtuthtold

Reaction score
post below is a liar. Habitual not tipping is stealing. Period. You agree when you SIT DOWN, that you will compensate wages for the server based on their performance. If you don't like it, take your food to go, eat at home and serve yourself. So yes, Indians SHOULD be forced to acclimate or not be allowed to actually sit down in the restaurant.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

post below is a liar. Habitual not tipping is stealing. Period. You agree when you SIT DOWN, that you will compensate wages for the server based on their performance. If you don't like it, take your food to go, eat at home and serve yourself. So yes, Indians SHOULD be forced to acclimate or not be allowed to actually sit down in the restaurant.

:plain:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indians, Asians, Germans, blacks, then Latins worst tippers in that order.

Most pains in the asses: Indian women, Latin men, Latin women, Indian guys, Asians, blacks, then Germans.

It's really funny to me how people abroad gripe about Americans beingbterrible guests in their country. Holy **** have I wanted to choke out so many foreigners. They show a complete lack of understanding of American customs. I think Americans are probably more crass, but I have seen some really terrible behavior from foreign people. Snapping and clapping at people like they are dogs. Banging the table or bar top for attention. Getting major attitudes because we do not accept their foreign issues ID's. Latin people are incredibly demeaning to service industry workers.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what other nation besides the US tips so much?

i think it's a really odd custom and seems disproportionately in favor of the people that bring you the food versus the ones that make it. waiters making $20/hour for working 5, 6 hours and chefs make $12-$14 and work 14 hours a day

seems like the onus should be on the restaurant owner to price it into the menu. i think the 18% service charge split between waitstaff, buspeople, and cooks makes much more sense.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb necropoast but whatever.
Percentage tipping is absolutely stupid. It leads to worse service ('Are you all done with that?') that people have unfortunately come to expect as ideal. And then there's the simple fact that paying a higher tip because of ordering higher-priced meals or beverages is ridiculous.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dumb necropoast but whatever.
Percentage tipping is absolutely stupid. It leads to worse service ('Are you all done with that?') that people have unfortunately come to expect as ideal. And then there's the simple fact that paying a higher tip because of ordering higher-priced meals or beverages is ridiculous.

+1 the waiter didn't work harder because I decided for the more expensive steak.

crich775

Reaction score
I don't tip for waitstaff unless there was exceptional service. Services such as valets/roomservice/bellhops etc. I will tip. I don't enjoy being forced to subsidize workers wages with my bill.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't tip for waitstaff unless there was exceptional service. Services such as valets/roomservice/bellhops etc. I will tip. I don't enjoy being forced to subsidize workers wages with my bill.

You should then eat at fast food spots when in NYC.

crich775

Reaction score
I used to live in NY, not the city but went there often, where I am at does not change my views on society and economics. However when the SAFE act passed I left NY and will never return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads