• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York in June

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
Hi Fellows,

I need some help from New Yorkers or gentlemen who traveled to NYC frequently. I am planning for a holiday to NYC and it will be my first time there so:

1. Which hotel will you recommend? Some of my considerations are Mandarin Oriental, The Surrey and Gansevoort.

2. How is the weather in June? Do i need a jacket or wearing 1 layer is enough?

3. Which are the recommended menswear shops? Or the shops that i must visit?

Many thanks in advance!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Fellows,

I need some help from New Yorkers or gentlemen who traveled to NYC frequently. I am planning for a holiday to NYC and it will be my first time there so:

1. Which hotel will you recommend? Some of my considerations are Mandarin Oriental, The Surrey and Gansevoort.

Many thanks in advance!

In answer to your questions:

1). All three hotels are luxury level hotels, but are of very different character. The Mandarin Oriental is a large tower at the Time Warner Center - glossy, business-oriented, and located at Columbus Circle - convenient to Midtown West (i.e. Times Square), and a 15-minute walk from Fifth Ave. and 59th St. The Surrey is a much smaller boutique hotel at 76th and Madison - a luxury commercial/residential neighborhood which is fairly quiet at night - some restaurants, but little street life after dark. The Gansevoort is in the meatpacking district, a much more raffishly fashionable area, with more street life after dark, and boutiques of a more fashion-forward nature surrounding it.

2). Depending on which part of June you plan to visit, it will be comfortably warm (early June) to quite warm (late June). A jacket would most likely not be needed during the day during most of June - possibly after dark.

3). Depending on your style, concentrate your visitations to the area of Madison and Fifth Aves., between 42nd St. and 59th Sts., with some extension up Madison Ave into the 60's and 70's if your tastes run to more European fashion. It's more Anglo-American on Madison in the 40's - see Paul Stuart at Madison and 45th, and see Bergdorf for Men and Barney's (58th and 5th, and 60th, between Madison & 5th, respectively). Also, see Ralph Lauren's mansion at 72nd and Madison - always an eyeful (if requiring a walletful of cash).

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I like New York in June, how about you?"

upr_crust pretty much nailed it. Love the Paul Stuart store! If you are interested in shoes, Leffot in the West Village is worth a stop too if you're down in that area.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What uprcrust said. Walk madison from ~43rd to ~70th if you have tons of cash. 5th has Bergdorf and Saks, and Rockefeller Center with JCrew type stuff, and various less ridiculously expensive places.

And also +1 to Leffot, which is mostly geared to $500+ shoes (many/most $1k+), great selection.

Last edited:

Alvinbmx

Reaction score

1). All three hotels are luxury level hotels, but are of very different character. The Mandarin Oriental is a large tower at the Time Warner Center - glossy, business-oriented, and located at Columbus Circle - convenient to Midtown West (i.e. Times Square), and a 15-minute walk from Fifth Ave. and 59th St. The Surrey is a much smaller boutique hotel at 76th and Madison - a luxury commercial/residential neighborhood which is fairly quiet at night - some restaurants, but little street life after dark. The Gansevoort is in the meatpacking district, a much more raffishly fashionable area, with more street life after dark, and boutiques of a more fashion-forward nature surrounding it.

2). Depending on which part of June you plan to visit, it will be comfortably warm (early June) to quite warm (late June). A jacket would most likely not be needed during the day during most of June - possibly after dark.

3). Depending on your style, concentrate your visitations to the area of Madison and Fifth Aves., between 42nd St. and 59th Sts., with some extension up Madison Ave into the 60's and 70's if your tastes run to more European fashion. It's more Anglo-American on Madison in the 40's - see Paul Stuart at Madison and 45th, and see Bergdorf for Men and Barney's (58th and 5th, and 60th, between Madison & 5th, respectively). Also, see Ralph Lauren's mansion at 72nd and Madison - always an eyeful (if requiring a walletful of cash).

Thanks for the great response!

1. Apart from these 3 hotels, do you have any other recommendation?

2. Ok. I will probably just bring a cardigan.

3. I leaned towards the European style but i will skip European brands in NYC. Buying them from Europe itself would cheaper. I guess i will look into Paul Stuart and RL Mansion. For shoe care, such as shoe trees and etc, where would be a good place to get them?

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
"I like New York in June, how about you?"

upr_crust pretty much nailed it. Love the Paul Stuart store! If you are interested in shoes, Leffot in the West Village is worth a stop too if you're down in that area.

I am still considering if i should head to Leffot knowing that i won't buy anything there. I just can't imagine myself paying US prices for english shoes.
satisfied.gif

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
^What uprcrust said. Walk madison from ~43rd to ~70th if you have tons of cash. 5th has Bergdorf and Saks, and Rockefeller Center with JCrew type stuff, and various less ridiculously expensive places.

And also +1 to Leffot, which is mostly geared to $500+ shoes (many/most $1k+), great selection.

Do you know if there is any outlet store which i should check? Nordstrom rack or something?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi Fellows,

Many thanks in advance!
The Standard is close to Gansevort but superior. It's in the meatpacking district. STK is a great steakhouse that's close. These are tourist type places.

The Crosby and Mondrian are two great boutique hotels in Soho, steps from great retail, eateries and within a trendy area. I prefer these type of hotels because they've got character and style. There is a great restaurant called Lure on prince street in SOHO, a must visit. Also a benefit of staying in SOHO is your right near the NQR & ACE train lines.

June weather = typical northeast summer climate. Can be hot and humid but will probably be just warm if it's early June.

Bergdorf, Paul Stuart, Tom Ford, Crockett Jones, Epaulet - etc.

Century 21 is the mecca of outletting (it's downtown). Regularly carry Tom Ford, Zegna and the like. You can find insane deals there.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Century 21 is the mecca of outletting (it's downtown). Regularly carry Tom Ford, Zegna and the like.  You can find insane deals there.

+1. It's a zoo, but there are some really ridiculous bargains there. Downtown C21 has lots more than the UWS store so hit the downtown one unless you just happen to be at Lincoln Center.

MisterFu

Reaction score

I can't really better these responses. I'll just add that being from the city I'd pick The Surrey (with the Gansevoort being my second choice in your list) and not just because I am from that neighborhood but because you'll actually get a better feel for what a real Manhattan neighborhood, albeit a high-end one, feels like. You are also close to the Met which, frankly, you should see while in the city and Madison is fun to walk. Yes, you'll be away from the core tourist areas, but most are only a short trip on the subway. The subway is your friend and will help you get to all sorts of great stuff around the city.

A few additional words of advice - don't let anyone in your family wear a backpack (or God forbid a fanny pack) and don't block the sidewalk with picture taking during rush hour in midtown or the financial district (it will make you the target of much ire). If it's a beautiful day, take the time to walk Central Park and be sure to enjoy New York's one truly great contribution to the culinary arts: the "Dirty Water Dog". Only in the city do you get just the right combination of diesel particulates, week old kraut and mystery meat.

Seriously though, I hope you have a great time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads