• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New york hotel…

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay at the Mercer in SoHo. What type of shopping are you looking to do? 5th and Madison style or downtown?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feelings are that if you get something central, you end up missing everything. Get something either downtown or uptown, travel between is easy and you'll get more out of the trip.

I think uptown is lame, but if you must... Try the W on Lexington or Times Square; small rooms but cozy and well furnished.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My feelings are that if you get something central, you end up missing everything. Get something either downtown or uptown, travel between is easy and you'll get more out of the trip.

I think uptown is lame, but if you must... Try the W on Lexington or Times Square; small rooms but cozy and well furnished.
Ok, but here's my thinking (I could be wrong): If I stay around the area of 5th and 59th I can easily go up and down the east side with ease (I am in the prime of my life and can walk for hours on end). Last time I was in Manhattan I hit all of the stores I wanted to see in two days flat. But, I was younger then and was into different things.

Perhaps as my hobbies have evolved, my need to rethink my short NYC experience must be updated. I'll probably put together a list of where I want to go.

Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely opt to stay downtown, south of 14th (I personally perfer south of Canal. but that's me.) It's warm out, so it'll be super easy to get around not matter where you stay.

If you are into the Bergdorfs, ladies who lunch and do Botox thing, the Upper West Side tends to be kind of quiet but well within walking distance. Try some place near Park South. Maybe you can spit at the Trump Tower for me.

I personally prefer downtown. If you are a designer/highend kind of guy, the a yobos have pretty much taken over Soho anyway, and you'll find everything from John Varvatos to Helmut Lang to Marc Jacobs. Actually, the yobos have taken over all of the downtown, but their are still a lot of interesting, one off shops there, and there are lots of interesting things to see in general.

I sleep in the crappiest, cheapest hotels there are, so you probably don't want my recommendations.

LA Guy - who has seen to many black overcoats over "bespoke" suits/dresses north of 56th, and too many faux vintage shirts and Japanese denim south of 14th.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be open to any recommendations regarding hotels. I would be willing to pay less, if it meant my shopping budget is greater. I do want to go to BG because they carry Puma's platinum line; also the Concept Puma store on Broadway is a must. Filene's Basement is also worth a visit (since so many on the forum seem to find good deals). I would like to see the BB at 346 Madison, just for the hell of it (if there's time). H&M is also a store I want to hit (since you can't find their clothing in SoFLA). I want to swing by Gucci to try a pair of driving loafers, since they carry all sizes in the NYC flagship. Barneys is also a store I want to go to, since all we have in Florida is a Barney Co-Op (I have no clue what it is, I should check it out). Century 21 looks like another good place to find bargains. I'll obviously hit a few choice watch stores; have to harass (I mean ask questions) the people at Tourneau. I'll go to the RL flagship on Madison (gotta love RL for trying, plus the Rhinelander Mansion is an architecturally important building {just in case I needed another justification for going}). I was also told that Il Laboratorio del Gelato is a must try (ok, so I know its not clothing, but any ice cream is the ****). And of course Katz Deli (Urban Warrior, that was just for you
wink.gif
). Jon. If I see "˜The Donald', I'll be sure to steal the hairpiece right off of his head for you (of, course I'll be banned from Mar-a-Lago for the rest of my life).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might want to also go to Versace since their multi-storied shop in New York is architectually beautiful as well.

Of course if only you're into Baroque.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might want to also go to Versace since their multi-storied shop in New York is architectually beautiful as well.

Of course if only you're into Baroque.
HAHAHAHA, no I meant that going to the RL store was ok, since it was architecturally meaningful; because many on the forum don't like RL or his products. I was making a joke. Perhaps I miss phrased it.

Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other stores to hit in Manhattan:

Downtown:
Steve Alan (various locations)
Built by Wendy
John Varvatos
Costume National
Jutta Neumann (for unboring, well made leather goods)

Mid and uptown:

Bloomingdales (it is *the* NYC store, after all. And their prices for designers like Varvatos are often better than at other stores. Plus, they have this crazy sales storeroom that is fun to sift through)
Barney's (another NYC insitution) - they'll pretty much leave you alone.
Nicole Farhi - sort of like a French/English John Varvatos - but the original.
Bergdorfs - it is interesting, in concept and selection. If the sales clerk is snooty, make him bring you all sorts of crazy stuff you have no intention of buying. Solicit the opinions of the ladies who lunch and the power brokers who shop there whether a particular outfit makes you look pimp enough.

I'll try to think of more...

William Massena

Reaction score
If money is no object I would take the Four Seasons on East 57th street. Brioni has its store in the Building, T&A exactly across the street, next door to the AP store and Tourneau is next block. You are half a block from Madison, BG is around the corner, Barneys & Borrelli  3 blocs up (3 minutes walk).

The Four season is IMHO the best hotel in NYC, the room rate as high as the reputation. The Peninsula on 5th Ave and 54th street is a close 2nd.

If you want something lower key there is the Lowell which is located right behind the Four seasons, so location is great.
The carlyle is close to RL on madison and 75th Street but it is more of the old guard. The Pierre next to BG is maybe as good as the Four Seasons but much snobbier.

As for Downtown, the Mercer is great but the tourist crowd on Broadway kills the experience for me. All the designer boutique in Soho are nice to look at but I rather do my shopping uptown since Barney's and BG carry the same merchandise and I can do both of these in 2 to 3 hours,
Soho grand is another alternative. The Maritime hotel in Chelsea is the Hip hotel of the moment.
I am not a big fan of the downtown Hotels too hip too happening, I am way too old for service with an attitude problem and rooms no bigger than my broom closet at crazy rack rates.

I would take an uptown Vs dowtown hotel anyday for a few reasons, the first one is availability of cabs, during the WE much easier Up/Midtown. Secondly, You can have most store deliver your bags directly to your hotel room if you are located midtown than if you are downtown. It is summer and NYC is not the most pleasant city to walk around with huge bag when the Humidity level is high and the pollution level up.

This is not a Downtown Vs Uptown thing since I have been living below Houston St since 1995, this is a convenience thing.

William

Ihrichesq

Reaction score
I've stayed at the Park Lane and it's fine; well located for uptown shopping. You can often get a deal there. You might also get a good rate at the St. Moritz which is also on Central Park South. Bergdorf's is around the corner and you can hit most of the designer shops by going down to 57th St. and then over to Madison and walking up to around 72nd ending at Ralph Lauren's mansion. Downtown is an easy subway ride for the trendier stores mentioned in other posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads