Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New York City vs. Los Angeles fashion

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dxj5069, Feb 5, 2012.

Which do you prefer (in terms of fashion)?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2012.
  1. NYC

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. LA

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Both!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dxj5069

dxj5069 Member

Seattle ---> Pennsylvania ----> Los Angeles, Calif
    It's pretty hard for me because I love both, but I give LA a slight edge, but that's just my personal opinion. I like mixing the two styles; it creates something interesting!

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

You got to give it to LA. Isn't that the original home of the California tuxedo? There's no such thing as an NY tux. :teach:

3. dxj5069

dxj5069 Member

Seattle ---> Pennsylvania ----> Los Angeles, Calif
    ^So, so true! I love the LA tux. So daring and unique.

4. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

They hold fashion week here for a reason...

5. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Do they have fashion in L.A?

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo_Park,_New_York

:teach:

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

NYC, because people always seem to look smarter in movies set in NYC rather than LA.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

9. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Different vibe for both cities..or probably the few times I was in NY people I acquainted with were mostly in suits as opposed to a more laid-back vibe of LA.

10. Highstreetlabel

Highstreetlabel Member

New york is really more fashionable but LA haves the best temperature and IS in cconstant movement too! LA is better for actors.

11. joe4u

joe4u Well-Known Member

I prefer LA fashion and weather!

12. Octoberfile

Octoberfile Senior member

Yes we do.....its just happens to suck.

13. Octoberfile

I chose NYC too. But you can't base your judgments on movies set in NYC, which are filmed by Hollywood directors, cast by Hollywood agents, starring Hollywood actors, dressed by Hollywood wardrobe designers and stylists.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

14. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

[​IMG]

LA. Definitely.

15. Octoberfile

I agree with this statement the most. Its a totally different vibe. I'd say that it would be easier to compare LA with San Francisco or Seattle than NYC.

However, unlike most cities, Los Angeles doesn't really have a true center, so people dress differently depending on where you are. In the downtown area, someitmes referred to as civic center, the attorneys wear alot of black and dark charcoal two piece suits with white or light blue dress shirts when going to court. When at the office, they usually wear polos or do a sloppy dress casual minus the blazer. The accountants at the big four dress like mormons......dark pants, white shirt, dark shoes, maybe a jacket, maybe a tie......maybe!

If you're in the valley, the professionals all look like very casually dressed realestate agents. Maybe a dress shirt or a polo, loose fitting pants, a cheap tie or no tie, loafers and possibly a sports jacket if its cold. Orange County is even more casual. Most of the professionals there dress like software engineers from Silicon Valley; at least that's the way it appears to me.

Evening dress in Hollywood and the surrounding areas like Beverly HIlls and Westwood is the most interesting, but still leaves much to be desired. Both men and women tend to wear a lot of black. In fact, the black out look (black pants, black shirt, black shoes, black jacket....) seems to be the standard go to outfit for people who purposely try to dress up in LA at night. You see the black out look alot during Oscars time. Otherwise, you see alot of young and middle aged guys doing the aspiring Hollywood director look, which consists of faded, flared legged jeans, some kind of American Eagle plaid shirt, a fashion forward blazer and tennis shoes or even...gulp...sandals! Aside from that, t-shirts, baggy jeans and ugly, expensive tennis shoes fill the gap for the old and young. People tend to wear alot of shorts too, even if the weather is cold.

Luckily, that rediculous gangster rap, hip-hop look has been dying in LA since about 2008. Alot of kids now have been moving toward a more, I guess you could call it, hipster or post emo look? As much as I dislike hipster wear, I have to admit that it came as a breath of fresh air to see guys wearing clothes that didn't consist of oversized sports team jerseys, jeans or shorts four sizes too big, $300 clown shoe nikes, backward baseball caps and gold bling that would strike envy among the flyest of Detroit pimps.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012