• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York City stores?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always enjoy Davide Cenci up on Madison (68th? :confused: ).

There is a strange "discount" place down on First Ave. just below 14th called Gabays. It's 2nd generation family-run operation, and as far as I can tell offers remainders from big department stores. They're known primarily for women's shoes & handbags, but they do have some men's clothing. The same stuff can languish for months, but if you hit it right it can be fun. They often have Davide Cenci shirts, suits & sportcoats. The selection is definitely limited, and the vibe very thriftshopy, but prices are good and everything is negotiable. Cash will get you a further discount. You are likely to be disappointed if you make a special trip, but if you're in the neighborhood it pays to check in every 6 months or so....

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree with the C21 assessment; they have great deals on ties.

I'm not exactly sure what he's looking for but since he mentioned SCs, they always have a bunch of half canvassed Hickey Freeman SCs for around $300, sometimes fully canvassed stuff too. Other brands are more hit or miss depending on stock but I've gotten some great deals there! Talbott silk pocket squares for around $12 are usually worth picking up too.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on David Cenci.

Very friendly staff and great pieces that are harder to find (St. Andrews, Gravati). One of the better stores I've been to.

Also, if you have $20k to burn, stop by the Lanvin boutique on Madison for their 100% vicuna solid navy SC. Even if you don't want to buy it, might be worth the trip to check it out.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still say f*ck century 21-- better off going to Riflessi on 57th for good deals on Isaia slimmer cut shirts, a handful of borrelli vintage, cucinelli, etc at discount-- if u can handle the overzelous salespeople. Picked up a borrelli vintage for myself at great price, did hand stitched functional buttonholes for me by next morning, too

Great call on Paul Stuart, that is a must-- and so much better/ much more well presented quality goods, etc than Brooks!!

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
My wife and I love NYC, we go there every other year or so. First, you have to figure out what you want to spend. Madison Avenue is more high-end boutiques, Lanvin, Armani, etc., you're not going to see an SC much under $2K. I much prefer Soho (where Suit Supply is), where you can still spend a lot of money, but the entry price isn't quite as high. Lots of non-SF approved shops, almost any brand name you can think of will have their own store there.

Misc Tips:

If you do Soho, public restrooms are a problem, especially if you have a wife that likes coffee. Bloomingdale's is your friend.

epaulet (a favorite around here) is closed on Sundays.

Seize sur Vingt had some interesting sport coats, it's kind of near Suit Supply, they run about $700. Also J. Lindeberg.

If you want to do the ultracheap thing, and do Uniqlo, H&M, etc., go to their stores on 33rd St. Much quieter and more pleasant to shop than the ones in Soho. There are some other fun shops on 33rd, as well.

I'm in the pro-C21 camp. Good stuff to be found, but it's a zoo and it's hit or miss. They tend not to be in the main shopping areas, there isn't one in Soho. Daffy's is along the same lines.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife and I love NYC, we go there every other year or so. First, you have to figure out what you want to spend. Madison Avenue is more high-end boutiques, Lanvin, Armani, etc., you're not going to see an SC much under $2K. I much prefer Soho (where Suit Supply is), where you can still spend a lot of money, but the entry price isn't quite as high. Lots of non-SF approved shops, almost any brand name you can think of will have their own store there.

Misc Tips:

If you do Soho, public restrooms are a problem, especially if you have a wife that likes coffee. Bloomingdale's is your friend.

epaulet (a favorite around here) is closed on Sundays.

Seize sur Vingt had some interesting sport coats, it's kind of near Suit Supply, they run about $700. Also J. Lindeberg.

If you want to do the ultracheap thing, and do Uniqlo, H&M, etc., go to their stores on 33rd St. Much quieter and more pleasant to shop than the ones in Soho. There are some other fun shops on 33rd, as well.

I'm in the pro-C21 camp. Good stuff to be found, but it's a zoo and it's hit or miss. They tend not to be in the main shopping areas, there isn't one in Soho. Daffy's is along the same lines.

Daffy's is no more.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sportscoats I plan on spending in the $300-$500 range. I plan on visiting the following stores:

Century 21
Nordstrom Rack
Dillards
Suitsupply

Any others stores I should check out?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would cross off all on your list except suit supply-- and consider adding these which fit well within your budget; really think you'll have better luck and will save you from running all over the place
*Bloomingdales (sale going on for Lubiam sartorial, LBM 1911, Aqua, etc spring soft shoulder Italian jackets)
*Massimo Dutti on 5th avenue, soft shouldered stylish jackets as well

For sportscoats I plan on spending in the $300-$500 range. I plan on visiting the following stores:

Century 21
Nordstrom Rack
Dillards
Suitsupply

Any others stores I should check out?

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would cross off all on your list except suit supply-- and consider adding these which fit well within your budget; really think you'll have better luck and will save you from running all over the place
*Bloomingdales (sale going on for Lubiam sartorial, LBM 1911, Aqua, etc spring soft shoulder Italian jackets)
*Massimo Dutti on 5th avenue, soft shouldered stylish jackets as well
I am just know finding out about Massimo Dutti...stuff looks good on the website. Sizing is strange. I have to do more research on the brand.

Thanks

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt read good reviews Massimo Dutti.Sounds like an H&M.Express type store. Looking for SuitSupply type items.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think Dutti is worth a look, and nothing like h&m from what I can tell-- that and Bloomingdales sport coats worth a look, trust me

I didnt read good reviews Massimo Dutti.Sounds like an H&M.Express type store. Looking for SuitSupply type items.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I'd add that to the list -- especially if you're looking for some nice gingham pattern shirts, they seem to do good ones in different colors. I'm telling ya, don't skip Bloomingdales for soft shouldered sport coats and suits selection, tho! U won't be sorry!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads