• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York City - (Slightly Off Topic)

puzzled expression

Reaction score
My family and I (from England) will be smack in the middle of Manhattan in 24 hours time, D.v. What will the weather be like for the next week?

Any great recommendations for must-see sights, or must-eat restaurants? We've looked through the guide-books and are up to speed on the obvious stuff - but what about the things that most tourists never see? Bear in mind that: (1) it's a first-time visit for all of us; (2) money is fairly tight, and (3) the kids (16 and 13) live in denim, so nothing too elegant, please..

Cheers,

P.

PS. And sartorial hints/recommendations would be helpful too.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Dress for London weather,as there's really no Spring in the Northeast.Check out the Union Square Cafe on 14th Street.Excellent food for not so extravagant prices.For a great steak or burger on the cheap,Gallagher's on 52nd is an institution.Enjoy.
tounge.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the weather is nice like today, I recommend walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Avoid Ground Zero, its at least a 30 minute trip and there is really nothing to see. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and MOMA are must see. The MOMA is free today after 4 (now).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree re: Ground Zero... I still think it is a must do if you're not getting to NY again anytime soon. After all, it will be gone as soon as they start building again. I went in November and am very glad I did.

For eating, I recommend Blue Smoke (moderate prices) and Del Frisco's (high end).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(bigbadbuff @ May 27 2005,13:59) I disagree re: Ground Zero... I still think it is a must do if you're not getting to NY again anytime soon. After all, it will be gone as soon as they start building again. I went in November and am very glad I did.
Also, Century 21 is right there, isn't it?
yup

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to NYC in December for my first visit. My wife is from NYC (Grad of NYU; lived nearby for a while). I really liked visiting the city. We did visit ground zero though she was hesitant. I think it's important to see it. It certainly does give one things to think about. Of course, I had never seen the site when it did have the towers, so I didn't know what to compare it to. but the site is an important one. On a par with the Vietnam wall in DC and the Holocaust museum in DC. One doesn't need to take from such experiences a too depressing feeling. One can also look at the fact that they are rebuilding on that site with some terrific works of art. symbols of mankind's persistence in the face of tragedy. Same with the other two sites I mentioned in DC. For example, one can recall the courage and greatness of an Oscar Schindler while visiting the Holocaust museum. There are also other stories of courage there.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure and go to Bergdoffs, Tiffanys, Barneys, etc. Best food and prices are in Chinatown--just look in the window and go in any place that has few if any tourists. Grays Papya has about the best hotdogs (see http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/dining/25dogs.html? ) Go to Zabars (80th & Broadway) and get take-out food and walk to Central Park and have dinner on the grounds--aka picnic-- while people watching. If you have the money for tourist places then do Times Square. However, it much more fun to buy a day pass for the bus/subway and travel around with real people. Take the free Staten Island ferry--great view of Statue of Liberty. Cheap high end clothes at Woodbury Commons: buyer beware see-- http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/26/fa.../26CRITIC.html

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Ecko is still having their sampe sale on 23rd between 5th and 6th. upstairs from the home depot.

Take them to Union square. On Saturday is the farmer's market. At the other end, the kids hang out. There is also a huge Virgin Record store.

The sony building has cool stuff for them 56th and madison.

Head straight down broadway from union square. Down to SOHO. It is all shopping for the teens.
REnt Roller blades at Chelsea piers at 23rd and head south to Battery park city.

Get a burger at the shake shack in Madison square park also at 23rd st.

I obviously don't get out of my neighborhood that often.

If the kids are into music. there is an all ages show at the Continental. Third ave and St marks in the east village. I will not vouch for the bands.
I hope this helps.
Do not eat in times square. It is over priced. There is a cool and cheap japanese palce on ST marks called Kenka.
Korean barbecue is fun on 32nd st between 5th and 6th.
Two boots has great pizza there are several locations.

Carl

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to NYC in December for my first visit. My wife is from NYC (Grad of NYU; lived nearby for a while). I really liked visiting the city. We did visit ground zero though she was hesitant. I think it's important to see it. It certainly does give one things to think about. Of course, I had never seen the site when it did have the towers, so I didn't know what to compare it to. but the site is an important one. On a par with the Vietnam wall in DC and the Holocaust museum in DC. One doesn't need to take from such experiences a too depressing feeling. One can also look at the fact that they are rebuilding on that site with some terrific works of art. symbols of mankind's persistence in the face of tragedy. Same with the other two sites I mentioned in DC. For example, one can recall the courage and greatness of an Oscar Schindler while visiting the Holocaust museum. There are also other stories of courage there.
The sad thing for me is that even though I have been in Manhattan many times before 9/11, I was so used to the towers that they were a passing thought (they were simply there...just like when I lived in Toronto, the CN Tower never really caught my attention per say) and I honestly can't recall them in my collective memory.

I did however pass right by Ground Zero last time I was in NYC, and it simply looked like any other construction site.

Jon.

puzzled expression

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the above. We are leaving shortly and will have a week to try out all of these recommendations. I know that we will be visiting Ground Zero - my two girls watched much of the early live coverage on tv and it is now a defining moment in their childhoods. They remember it the way an older generation remembers Kennedy's assassination. We will go and we will pay our respects.

Puzz

oldskool

Reaction score
ground zero is what it is... while you're there go see battery park city and have a drink at the bar at the downtown ritz - nice view of the statue of libery and fewer tourists. next door is the holecaust museum... walk east to the seaport, get an idea of NYC at the turn of the century. my point being, there more to do downtown than GZ. Have dinner in Tribeca on Greenwich Street at an outdoor restaurant.

Walk in Central Park, go the new time warner center and (again) have a drink at the bar at the Mandaran Oriental, its a great view of the park and central park south.

Go to Grants Tomb on the Upper West Side and walk Riverside Park to Columbia University and see the campus.

Go to the lower east side (Houston & Essex) and walk south and see all the new stores opening down there... eat rice pudding at Rice on Spring Street (avaid Soho during prim hours)

Go to the UN, but try to eat lunch or dinner at L'Impero right there, it's wonderful.

Upper east side.... Madison Avenue is top shops... have tea at the Carlyle, go to the Met, the Guggenheim, the Jewish Museum, (all right there).... see the Ralph Lauren Store at Madison & 72nd..

Walk East from the Met to the east river and see the Mayors house (Gracie mansion) at York & 87th... walk along the east river.

if you need for help, ask me.

puzzled expression

Reaction score
Just back from the most wonderful week in NYC - thanks to everyone for their help and encouragement. We acted on many of your recommendations which were uniformly excellent. The river cruise was made even more spectacular since we did it on Memorial Day and there were various fly-pasts by both historic and current military aircraft, up and down the Hudson River. Central Park, Metropolitan Museum, Whitney Museum, Chrysler, Seagram, Flatiron and Empire State Buildings - fantastic. Grand Central Station was amazing, so was the Reading Room in NY Public Library. We ate very well (a bit too well, if my waistband does not deceive me) and all now understand the fuss that is made over NY cheesecake. Best meal of the trip (thanks, Fashionslave) was at Gallagher's on 52nd Street. Best steak I have ever eaten...

Turning to matters sartorial... I managed to give my family the slip one day and did 5th Ave/Madison Ave. Once again, wow. In the end I brought home:
7 for All Mankind jeans
Brioni 'casual' shirt: white with olive green and pale turquoise stripes (on sale in Barney's)
J Press button-down-oxfords with flap-pocket: pink and blue
Three grosgrain belts: 2 from Press, 1 from RL
Brooks Brothers tie: pink, with white stripes
Caswell-Massey Greenbriar Eau de Toilette.

Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads