• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York addresses for a Frenchman

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A French friend is going to NYC soon and asked if I could supply addresses of some interesting places -- shops, bars, restaurants -- to visit when he's there. He's a clotheshorse as well, but it doesn't run his life. I haven't spent much time in NYC recently, but could anyone volunteer some places?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visitors from all kind of places seem to get a kick out of Century 21 (looks honey these socks are only 1.50 euros). Outside of that, it is hard for me to think if any clothing shopping destinations that are not done cheaper/better in Freedom. For digital cameras and other electronics it is hard to beat Beards and Hats . J and R photo, located close to Century 21 ( and Ground Zero, Brooklyn Bridge and City Hall) is also good for electronics, music and videos. For restaurants, I will let other people comment except to say I like the polished service and quality food and presentation of the Danny Meyer's group restaurants (Eleven Madison Park is especially recommended, Gramercy Tavern, Union Square cafe, etc). They do a good job of showcasing the American high end dining philosophy which values not just high quality food but also superb customer service and being responsive to customer's wishes. If your friend is a foody he can seek out cuisine not found in Freedom (Southern BBQ, Mexican/Southwestern, etc.) Unfortunately, I do not know of any stellar places that specialize in that type of food.

Mars

Reaction score
I would recommend Madison Avenue between 59th Street and 72nd for some of the higher end boutiques. Also check out nolita (Elizabeth Street below Houston and the surrounding area). SoHo has some shops as well, but has turned more into an outdoor mall these days.

For food, check out Bilboquet off Madison uptown for a great Euro/French scene. As the evening progresses it turns into a small party. Also Fredericks downtown for a similar scene. Also Balthazar and Pastis for more of the French scene. Interms of non-french restaurants, check out Buddhakan, STK, Fig & Olive and 5 Ninth (all in the meatpacking district).

Have him look up www.frenchtuesdays.com for a bi-weekely euro/french party in New York. Also tell him to stop by the Box, La Esquina, 205 Chrystie, Beatrice Inn and Pink Elephant for going out. Beatrice Inn is the same owner as Le Baron in Paris (if that helps).
Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads