• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ship-to-Canada tax amounts to precisely 28% (I checked a $34 item and a $2500 item).

Much of the new fall-winter stock (see Kolor blazers, for instance) is priced at or slightly above the original merchandise retail price.

Yoox has just lost most of my business. I will probably never buy anything again unless it's in the sale section and there's a 20% code.
$500 item -20% coupon +28% tax = $512, so it almost evens out (but the buyer still loses in the end FFS)

EDIT: keep in mind this is the same company behind [full-price] TheCorner.com and the online store for Diesel.com (one among many "powered by Yoox") which DO NOT ship to Canada at all, even now, when random boutiques in deepest darkest continental Europe offer easy global shipping through Farfetch or their own online stores. I send them a message every now and again just to remind them there are Canadians who would buy from these stores if they offered the same damn international service they do (or did until today, apparently) to Canada through Yoox, but they just don't give a ****.

Last edited:

sask boot

Reaction score
If anyone speaks to Yoox before I do can you please post any information that they give about why Canadians should pay this much and why we should continue shopping with them. It would be greatly appreciated. I cannot understand why they would risk losing thousands of customers and dollars.
uhoh.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems a little odd...surely an incremental increase would be better for now.

Last edited:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FORYOUONLY15 and NEWOUTFIT do not currently work for me.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FORYOUONLY15 and NEWOUTFIT do not currently work for me.

Correct -- they've ended.

Have any Canadians noticed eBay's "Global Shipping Program" popping up in auctions? It is analogous to the duty fees Yoox has added (which were always standard with merchants like Mr. Porter and Neiman Marcus), but it applies to individual sellers.

It isn't mandatory, and I don't think eBay ever explained it to sellers properly, because whenever I see the notice and contact the seller about it, they are surprised to hear about it. They always offer to ship the traditional way (buyer just has to request a revised invoice after winning the auction), but who knows if this system might eventually become mandatory the way Paypal payments did.

What I want to know most is where the absurd numbers are coming from. Import duties are 28% at Yoox and 34% at eBay in the case below (not sure if eBay always uses the same percentage).

I won't be buying anything online at these rates. My purchases in Canada have been almost nil in the last few years due to our 13% HST, but paying 2-3x that for seasons-old stuff is just going to drive me back to the crummy offerings of local retailers.

It's a highly undesirable trend in eCommerce from a consumer point of view, that's for sure. But it will be interesting to see whether it dismays and dissuades international buyers to the point that the merchants have to revise their calculus. In the meantime, Canadian stores might even see an uptick -- and probably wonder what the heck is going on.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because co. like Yoox steal tax revenues from Canada while stealing revenues and causing job loss in retail sector. Not to mention the capital flows out of the country never to return. As much as I enjoy online shopping it destroys brick and mortar businesses and as a result causing further unemployment and depression of economy.
Just my opinion.

sask boot

Reaction score
That is a good point but what shops in Canada have the selection of Yoox? I would happily buy from a Canadian retailer but we are very limited when it comes to mens clothing in Canada. If there was the Canadian version of Yoox I would be buying from them.

hrv123

Reaction score
Wow! I made a purchase last week and seem to have beaten the taxes/duty. This is horrible news. Scratch yoox off the list of online retailers from which I'll now be purchasing. I wouldn't mind buying from B&M stores in Canada if they didn't outright steal from consumers. The latest example of which was my purchase of a Boglioli K Jacket online from Italy for $450, which I could have bought at Harry Rosen's for $2000+. Sounds unbelievable, but this is the reality for Canadians.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, check it and realize that you could've bought it 2 weeks ago cheaper when codes were still active.

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coupon code: EXTRA10

Works for US only.

AE7

Reaction score
In my country, most of these brick and mortar shops who retail high-end Italian brands usually cheat and scam customers, charging 500%-1000% (like 500 USD for the old collection Caruso tie or shirt or 5000 USD for Attolini jacket!) from the past seasons collections, faking sales by raising prices beforehand, selling horrible stuff and trying to pass it as fashion or stylish.

And they really abuse local customers who dont know what the fair price should be or judge by prices they saw in shops around Piazza di Spagna.

Because of them people cant afford a reasonably priced Italian suit or jacket; because of them chain stores are able to sell stuff from Zara and H&M at super high costs (like 50USD for a T-shirt); because of them cheap imported **** from China and Turkey saturates the streets and offices.

I love Yoox and the likes, because I want to see the owners of these shops out of their businesses.

LJubel328

Reaction score

In my country, most of these brick and mortar shops who retail high-end Italian brands usually cheat and scam customers, charging 500%-1000% (like 500 USD for the old collection Caruso tie or shirt or 5000 USD for Attolini jacket!) from the past seasons collections, faking sales by raising prices beforehand, selling horrible stuff and trying to pass it as fashion or stylish.

And they really abuse local customers who dont know what the fair price should be or judge by prices they saw in shops around Piazza di Spagna.

Because of them people cant afford a reasonably priced Italian suit or jacket; because of them chain stores are able to sell stuff from Zara and H&M at super high costs (like 50USD for a T-shirt); because of them cheap imported **** from China and Turkey saturates the streets and offices.

I love Yoox and the likes, because I want to see the owners of these shops out of their businesses.

Where are you from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads