1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

new Yoox codes and sales - post them here

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GoldenTribe, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

I can't add the code because it appears the Free Shipping message. :paranoia:

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey Filipe, are you in Lisbon?

3. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Worked fine for me. Free standard shipping is automatic and the code gives you 10% off.

4. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

No. I live in Porto. Are you portuguese?

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

No, but I've visited twice. Very beautiful country.

On a side note, my former boss was kidnapped in Porto (he escaped unharmed).

If you're ever in Lisbon, you should check out Le Cortes Ingles. They have some of the best sales I've ever seen (cheap Carminas, Corneliani and Pal Zileri).

6. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

There's no place to enter the code :censored:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  7. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

There's a El Corte Ingles near Porto, but I've never seen any Carminas there. I have two pairs of shoes from Armando Silva and I'm pretty pleased with them, even if they aren't SF quality.

8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Have yoox every had a sale where it was more than 15% off?

9. Desiette

Desiette Well-Known Member

So what is to prevent someone from creating a new YOOX account with a new email address? If you go through PayPal, then it is PayPal that pays YOOX so there is no way for YOOX to know what credit card you are using.

The only thing that would be the same is the shipping address. Surely, everyone has a friend that they can ship to instead?

It's a hassle I know. But I have ordered thousands of $$$ worth of items from online retailers. This is the very first time that I have heard of a customer being rejected from the store for a legit return. The benefit for an online store is the savings in terms of not having showrooms, sales staff etc. But the tradeoff is a higher volume of returns. That is the cost of business surely?

Most retailers like Zappos, Amazon have an extensive feedback section, so a buyer can be more thoroughly informed before purchasing something. In the absence of that, the only option is to order and see for yourself, right?

10. Desiette

Money saved is money earned :) Attitudes like this would probably hurt YOOX more than it would you.

11. dijor

dijor Senior member

I think it is not fair to not tell the customer he is returning too much but just blacklist him and reject all orders. I was not aware this could be a problem. I calculated and I spent over $6K

In case YOOX read this I hope they will pm me and I will give my YOOX account to discuss this.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm sure that you can bypass the system somehow, but there is a barrier. I'm sure that if you care enough to make a new identity just so that you can buy at Yoox, that you will be able to.

Yes, the cost of a pureplay is higher returns. The average rate of returns is something like 33%. iirc, the rate of B&M returns is something in the range of 10%. It's a pretty rare customer that has a 90%+ rate of return. If you are in that category, you are an outlier, regardless of your reasons for return. This may be the first time you've heard of this, but that doesn't mean that it's not pretty common, which it is. Even on the forum, there are numerous stories like this. Of course, it only affects a small minority of customers. There is an old adage in retail, which is that 10% of customers cost more than they are worth. and there are different ways that a retailer can dissuade that customer from patronizing them. Remember that all commerce is a two way street. Just as customers want good customer service, retailers want good customers.

I've been on both sides of this equation, in different capacities, and definitely, just as on the consumer side, there are retailers that you'd just not deal with because of the poor customer service, on the retail side, there are nightmare customers.

2 people like this.
  13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Didn't someone once post a similar story with STP?

14. thisfits

thisfits Senior member

I've never run a business and don't know much about these things, but I'm sure part of the reason why Yoox beats Mr. Porter on prices is because they don't have garment measurements and poor product descriptions. You'd have to pay people to do that extra work, and that extra cost gets added to their prices. Yoox works and is successful for now because a huge, hyper-efficient warehouse is better for cost savings than reducing return rates.

I've been blacklisted from STP's DealFlyer emails for too many returns. I can still make purchases there, though.

15. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

In addition of mainly being an outlet, yoox is based in italy and gets european brands without the fees/upcost of importing them like an US boutique would.

16. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think that's right. I also think that Yoox sources its inventory differently. My guess is Yoox is buying large lots of merchandise, probably without knowing specifically what they are getting; e.g.: here's a lot of 100 shirts from supplier x. They get it really cheap, obviously. But they are not spending time having buyers decide which items to carry, as Mr. Porter is. They buy cheap, in bulk, then they get it on the site as quickly as they can. Very lean operation, I'll bet.

Also, not having B&M stores helps with costs, of course.

But this is not the first time I've heard of customers being rejected, and not just from Yoox. On the other hand, I don't know how anyone can be confident of what they are getting when they order from Yoox, due to their vague descriptions.

This happened to me, as well. They sent me a nice email asking if there was a reason I've made so many returns. I actually have not purchased from them in at least a year. But I noticed I don't get the DealFlyer anymore. STP is not quite as bad as Yoox, but they also suffer from not giving enough information, not to mention sending out merchandise that is really beat up.

But I don't know how you can sell clothing online without expecting lots of returns. LA Guy cited 10% returns for B&M vs. 30% for online; that's because you can actually see and try on the merchandise in person in a store. I don't know that there's a level of description on the web that would narrow that gap much; although whatever it is, Yoox is far from it.

17. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

As an ebay silver powerseller, my return rate is about 3%. I don't accept returns, but sometimes am forced to when a buyer opens a dispute. Other sellers who do accept returns cite 5-6% returns, on Polo/RRL.

Those buyers must have lower expectations, or know what they're buying (as opposed to Yoox buyers/outlet/website buyers who mostly just like to dick around, wear things for a couple days, then return them.)

I recently returned something to Yoox because the item wasn't selvedge (they should really cuff one leg to help me out, because I was 99.999% it would be but it wasn't, since I carried the same model that was selvedge, this one for some reason was not. The MSRP was wrong too, which is what confused me. I returned it, I don't blame them for banning buyers who abuse returns and return things all the time.. I mean returning 11/12??? Who wants a customer like that????

1 person likes this.
  18. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Nice post. I've heard Amazon do this to people who will do charge backs because an item isn't as described and/or return too often. Those customers drive up costs, and those costs of return is why prices go up. Ebay will also block you from opening Buyer Protection cases if you have opened too many of them, or claim Item not Received too many times. It's easy for them to see if you are a buyer who opens too many disputes against sellers who have very little disputes opened against them by other buyers, it is how they weed out the trolls, and scammers.

I've had a guy who bought $200 jeans and wore them to a some sneaker photoshoot, and returned them covered in pet hair! He was dumb enough to post those pics on his FB (which I tracked down using his email addresses provided with his paypal account.) I refunded his money and blocked him. That is all I could do. Sometimes people make new accounts but will use the same address or name and they are immediately blocked and orders cancelled. Sure there are ways around it, but if they don't want your business do you really want to do business with them? Find somewhere else to buy your jawnz.

Costco has a liberal return policy on everything and lately if you notice, won't find many great deals there anymore on groceries, electronics, etc..return lines are out the door because people want to return their potato salad and flat screen TVs. It drives costs up for us who do research before hand and rarely return things.

2 people like this.
  19. Desiette

This really is an incredibly interesting discussion. I'm kinda still on the customer side though. What about the old adage "A happy customer tells one friend, an unhappy customer tells everybody.". This topic is proof of that surely? One guy gets banned by YOOX and now there are like 6 of us talking about it, regardless of the fact that everyone else has had mostly happy experiences with YOOX.

My point is, is it really worth the bad publicity? In the Utilities business 90% of call center calls are from residential customers who account for less than 10% of revenue. But we don't think in terms of the utility only catering to commercial customers, do we? I know it's an apples and oranges comparison. But the point remains the same, which is as the more powerful entity in the relationship, there needs to be more of a give on the part of the company.

After all taking a hit on a 1000 dollar suit would be far less hurting to YOOX than it would be to a customer forced to keep it just because he doesn't want to get banned.

Not only that, what about scales of punishment? First a warning. Then a higher return shipping charge and then if the behavior still persists, getting blacklisted.

1 person likes this.
  20. dijor

dijor Senior member

Like I said before my arm length is not average. This means that the knitwear I buy have to have very long sleeves therefor I have to return a lot. For jackets the same I cannot see on the picture if the sleeves have working buttonholes so I can extent the sleeves. Still crazy no warning from YOOX.