1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

new Yoox codes and sales - post them here

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GoldenTribe, Aug 6, 2011.

1. harlemriver

harlemriver Senior member

It's official. Yoox and Net-a-Porter (Mr. Porter) will merge pending approval. New group will be YOOX Net a porter. I like both companies.

I wonder if the Thecorner will continue as NAP, MrP and Thecorner both sell current season clothes although the overlap is not excessive.

2. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

thought this was an April fools joke until I googled it lol

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

4. long_knives

long_knives Senior member

Any codes that will will work with the private sale?

5. Desiette

Desiette Well-Known Member

6. wootx

wootx Senior member

YOOX15

(At least in EU)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. long_knives

Doesn't work on the U.S. site :(

8. super1flavor

super1flavor Senior member

I don't know if the Yoox and Mr. Porter merger is a such a great thing for those who are heavy users on Yoox. One, they have opposing business models, so overall, I don't see this working. Two, I've bought from Mr. Porter and outside of a terrific website (it's visual appealing) much of the product is actually not that appealing nor is their customer service very good, frankly. I go to Mr. Porter for ideas and Yoox to buy. Maybe they are on to that. I see Incotex trousers on Mr. Porter for $365 and I buy an almost identical pair on Yoox marked down to $120. Yoox on the other hand has terrible photos, limited info, but some of the best customer service of any business that I've ever dealt with. The combination of good prices and good service has kept me as a loyal customer for many years. I don't care about lack of info. Their return policy is one of the best and 20 days is more than enough. I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from their warehouse, so at times the process of buying on the site to my hands to returned (if done next day) can be just 1 business week. Point being, as long as you know what you like, Yoox is a superior option.

I am afraid though, as these things often go, that the overachievers over at Mr. Porter are going to get cutesy and try to "reimagine" the Yoox website. To be sure, if the Yoox site changes to provide more info, better photos, etc, that will be reflected in the prices as it will appeal to a larger market. For example, there are currently similar MP. Massimo Piombo items on both sites. A sport coat on Yoox for $700 and $2200 on Mr. Porter. It wouldn't be terribly surprising to see something in the middle of those two numbers if Yoox revamps their site. Could we see $1200? This is all speculation, but certainly a possibility.

I've noticed this year so far, very few drops on items. More promotions, but less overall drops. Its now April and I'm pretty sure around this time last year, there were already 30% or 40% slash marks on some items in my dream box. I have items sitting in my box since last September and not a single price slash. Many years on Yoox and I have not seen that before. I suppose those price drops are imminent at this point with the other stock being cleared out, but I am noticing some subtle changes already in how Yoox does business. We'll see.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    4 people like this.
  9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

10. super1flavor

In fact, there is a new promotion "create your look" 25% off, which appears to be automatically deducted in your shopping cart. It applies to almost nothing I have in my dream box, though. I was really hoping the last sale was the last of the bunch and there would be drops.

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...on another note: is there a list somewhere in this thread about the SF-approved makers on Yoox? There's hundreds of them to search for, so a list would be welcome.

12. super1flavor

SF-approved?[​IMG]

You meant STYLEFORUM. Disregard.

13. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

They just ended their "friends and family" offer with some huge drops.
    I just checked my order history and I got some incredible deals on February 26th (Belgian site), that's really not long ago. I am expecting big drops in late June or July.

So did anyone ever answer this question: how comes you can find some Yoox items at the C21 store in NYC?

14. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

I read an article that gave ^this as the obvious motivation behind the merger - Yoox is great at everything except presentation. A lot of items fall to absurdly low prices on there only because Yoox has a unique ability of making fantastic items look like total shite. We've all profited from this in the past. Net-a-porter on the other hand (and others, such as matches) know how to make even extremely bad merchandise look pretty damn good. So yes, the merger is undoubtedly meant to attract on-line shoppers who have been steering clear of Yoox so far and, by extension, is supposed to lead to higher prices (not necessarily higher starting prices but higher effectively, because of more people buying, and buying earlier).

Glad I'm not the only one who has had this impression. A lot of the items in my dreambox have been sitting there for what feels like (by Yoox standards) an eternity without a single price drop. It didn't use to be like this. And I have to admit that their new strategy has worked on me several times. I got so tired of looking at certain items in my dreambox that I eventually caved in and got them in one of the various 25 or 30 per cent off temporary promotions. In fact, I have almost resigned myself to the prospect that in future this will be a much more common way of shopping on Yoox than it used to be.

15. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

I don't know what store that is, but retailers get stuff on Yoox when it has become dirt-cheap on there and re-sell it with a profit margin. E-bay sellers do it, why shouldn't brick-and-mortar stores do it also.

16. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I must admit that I've also succumbed to this, too. A man can only be so patient . . . .

17. long_knives

The main yoox site does not compete with net-a-porter or mr porter. Two totally different business models. It would make no sense for the yoox site to change anything in favour of a net-a-porter model. Yoox is the only profitable one of the two businesses.

18. harlemriver

harlemriver Senior member

It would be highly unlikely for YOOX to change their business model in this way. Keep in mind that YOOX did an all-share purchase of NAP from Richemont - not the other way around. YOOX bought NAP; Federico Marchetti will be the CEO and the ultimate decision maker.

YOOX has been profitable - NAP has not. What will probably happen is that they will create purchasing, warehouse, tech and logistical efficiencies to realize gains. The NAP business will be reviewed in hopes of earning a profit.

Further, the business models are different. YOOX is off-season while NAP/MrPorter/TheCorner are all in-season. The overlap would be between NAP/MrP/TheCorner - I suppose there could be consolidation there, but the YOOX main site is a beast of its own. If anything, you will probably see more merchandise on YOOX coming straight from the NAP group now.

With regard to clothing pricing, YOOX is in the game to make money and they will price accordingly. A company has to provide ROI for shareholders, fund future growth and have a healthy balance sheet to be a viable contender. The lack of additional price drops are probably natural fallout from the fact that we are further and further away from the dark valley of the 2008 market crash so there is less merchandise to be resold and rock bottom prices. Consumers lavished those additional discounts, but that does not mean it was a new normal.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of items, ~70% is my guess, are or will be priced favorably and below what you might would have gotten from a mainline store. The problem is that YOOX shoppers behave like entitled treasure hunters - i.e. "Why is this Zegna blazer with an original MSRP $3500 not going for $90 bucks yet?". That logic is somewhat obnoxious. Yes, great deals are to be had and yes we all love a deal so good we consider it a steal. However, just because the price is higher than you 'think' you should pay does not mean that you are not receiving an incredible value at a fair price.

It's all relative and should be put in perspective.

4 people like this.
  19. super1flavor

I don't know about Ebay that much anymore either. I purchase a Tumi briefcase 50% off and it was such a gem of a find. I lucked out since the seller seemed to have something off on the listing as it was only coming up in one particular search and not via the conventional wording, etc. Had been on site 2 months and I grabbed it. Point being, I've only sold 1 or 2 things on Ebay this year and it's just slowed to a snails pace. I don't how many people are really buying from Yoox to resell on Ebay. Buyers seem to have almost evaporated altogether on Ebay. I would love to see some stats on this. It's definitely not a good time to be a seller on Ebay. To the point that I took all the cheaper stuff off (less than $50-$100) and just finally wound up donating much of it. The cheaper stuff just wasn't moving at all, which is odd. I had a Zanone sweater on there for $95.00 ($395 sweater) with "make an offer" and I received one offer for $30 and wound up keeping it.

It seems to me we are witnessing seismic shifts with internet buying and I am 100% absolutely convinced, that some guys, have buyers fatigue. I think I do at times these days. The market is flooded with options and product. Point in case; about 4 or 5 years ago, I came across a brand called Aspesi (now very well known). It was almost impossible to find any outwear pieces in NYC or the net. Aspesi launched their e-commerce site and I bought a jacket full price and paid the tariff - total $800. Barneys had a few pieces on their floor. Now 4 years later, there are probably 40-50 jackets for sale on Ebay and they can be found in about 12 different online locations. This further proves my point of how valuable Yoox is in the mens clothing market. We are flooded with inventory and Yoox is a repository for this and catering to many men (who are frugal when it comes to clothing), changing anything with the model (making it more Mr. Porterish) will most likely be financial suicide since at some point, that inventory will back up too.

20. super1flavor

I've come close on a couple items and I did buy a Zanone polo like that, since it was the last one, but I have a few things that appear to have multiples, so I am waiting it out.