1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Year's Eve plans

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ambulance Chaser, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I'm being indecisive and don't know what I want to do for New Year's Eve.  What are you all doing?

2. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I voted for quiet evening at home. Although Frank Caliendo (Mad TV, Fox NFL Sunday) is going to be here at the Improv that night, so maybe if I could convince my wife and we could find a sitter...

However, in general, I prefer to stay home on amateur night. Too many idiots on the road, overly crowded bars, inflated cover charges and drink prices and just too much forced frivolity in general.

Sorry to be so boring.

Bradford

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

I am going to celebrate the good ole way, at home alone with my beautiful wife and have a nice lobster and steak dinner, a nice bottle of wine, and toast in with a bottle of Cristal...the to bed early for a long day of football.....GO DAWGS.

4. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I can't stand staying in, especially on a big nite like New Years Eve. I am heading to Porter's, a local bar/pub, for a private party. $60 for appetizer buffet and open bar. Should be pretty solid.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I was supposed to be invited to a party of some casual friends - but I haven't gotten the invitation and this was mentioned casually to me about 2 months ago. so I am debating whether to ask about it.

if not, I think that it will be a quiet evening at home.

6. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

My wife and I are continuing a tradition we have with 3 of our closest friends. The 5 of us have an extravagent meal, that we all cook (one of the 5 is a chef so he plans the menu) and we imbibe way too much Champagne. Hopefully our 5 month old baby will co-operate or at least join in the celebration. Either way I see a lot less Champagne being consumed this year. But that is not such a bad thing, it will help ease the pain on New Years day.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Going the top restaurant with nice wines/champagne route. Not too many great steakhouses in our immediate area so just went with Morton's, and looks like the wine pick will be a 92 Lafite Rothschild and the champagne pick will be 95 Cristal Rose.

8. globetrotter

drrzzt

do you bring your own wine, or you know the place's list?

9. nightowl6261a

drzzz, thanks for helping me with the spelling there, thank goodness my wife knows what to get

10. drizzt3117

I usually bring my own...

11. nightowl6261a

A question to taste and flavor, personally I would rather have a toast with a fine Whiskey or a nice glass of wine, therefore my champagne sipping will be done at midnight and the rest left for my significant other, but what is so special about the Rose over the regular Cristal...I am sure there are very distinct differences, and @ $200 for a bottle, that is really pushing it for me, and I am sure the Rose is far more expensive...what is the idfference?

12. drizzt3117

That particular bottle of Champagne is about $1k at wine shops, it just happens to be one of the better ones I have available. As far as rose champagne in general, it's typically extra dry, and it's not at all sweet, although it still does have quite a fruity bouquet. Generally it's a bit lighter than some of the heavier champagnes out there and a bit more delicate. I don't have a preference either way in terms of the champagne, if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably pick the Krug non-vintage, although Dom, Cristal, and Bollinger offerings are all good in their own way. I will probably bring a bottle of the 85 Bollinger RD as well to try, as it should be more than ready to drink.

13. nightowl6261a

I must say, at $1K for a bottle of sparkles, there better be something really good in the bottom, I just have never been able to aquire a taste for champange, and I thought after visisting the region I would...but it was of no luck...my wife on the other hand, she will feast on foie gras, caviar, and drink fine champagne all day if I could afford for her too...thank goodness I can not, not on a shoe salesmans salary anyway.
    Happy Holidays to you, and enjoy and be safe New Years Eve.

14. drizzt3117

Well I got it when it was released so, not quite $1k spent on that [​IMG] I am a big foie gras/caviar fan though.

15. globetrotter

the last time I tried to store good vintage champagne it didn't work well for me. now, at least as far as champagne goes, I only buy what I am going to drink right away.