• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Year's Eve in Montreal

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going up to MTL with my girlfriend on Dec 30 and staying there until Jan 1, 09. What are some of nice lounge/clubs to go to? She likes kind of trendy and lounge/club place with euro-electro music (i.e. Tiesto). Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
An Epicurean's Guide to Montreal - http://www.lifeepicurean.com/?p=109

That guide is laughably off.

Bar St. Sulspice a 'seen and be seen spot'?

Are they ******* kidding? They didn't mention like 90% of the good spots in the city. Horrible guide, don't follow.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
They didn't mention like 90% of the good spots in the city. Horrible guide, don't follow.

Can you mention few from those 90% of the good spots?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Can you mention few from those 90% of the good spots?

I think you and your girlfriend will like Globe. On NYE it doesn't get too packed and is one of the premium spots in the city. There's also Time Supper Club which can be very cool. They did mention one good place - Au pied du cochon. Go. If you aren't on too much of a budget, I believe Toque! is still there, so that is another must.

I think it was you who said you hate being in NYC for new years because it's all out of towners, well, Montreal isn't much better. In fact, for me NYE is one of the shittiest nights to go out in any good city. I'd say go to Globe over Time, but check out both, and both will cost you, but both are nice.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
"...screening clientele, and making..."
Bar St. Sulspice a 'seen and be seen spot'?
"...but one wonders if this is a place that really merits that type of consideration, considering the proximity to a place that is more hip and more inviting, that being Pub Latin Quartier."

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think you and your girlfriend will like Globe. On NYE it doesn't get too packed and is one of the premium spots in the city. There's also Time Supper Club which can be very cool. They did mention one good place - Au pied du cochon. Go. If you aren't on too much of a budget, I believe Toque! is still there, so that is another must.

I think it was you who said you hate being in NYC for new years because it's all out of towners, well, Montreal isn't much better. In fact, for me NYE is one of the shittiest nights to go out in any good city. I'd say go to Globe over Time, but check out both, and both will cost you, but both are nice.

You live in MTL, I thought you were very american...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
"...screening clientele, and making..."

"...but one wonders if this is a place that really merits that type of consideration, considering the proximity to a place that is more hip and more inviting, that being Pub Latin Quartier."

Anyone who lives in montreal will tell you that there is NO such consideration. No one has ever suggested that about a sloppy college bar where quite literally, 14 year olds go to have their first drink at a bar.

This guide is horrible.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You live in MTL, I thought you were very american...

I lived for 5 years in Canada as a youngster.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I lived for 5 years in Canada as a youngster.

Oh, cool. Honestly Montreal has good NYE parties but, like everywhere else, house/private parties are the way to go so I can't really help the OP.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Oh, cool. Honestly Montreal has good NYE parties but, like everywhere else, house/private parties are the way to go so I can't really help the OP.

I agree. The amount of douchebags that come out on NYE, including all the dirty people from Vermont, is staggering. Club owners get especially greedy, they pack places until you can't even think, and a lot of people just act like assholes.

Metro, another suggestion that could be decent in Cavalli. It's this hip italian place that charges like $50 for pasta but I know it has been a hot spot for 30+ people. It might be a bit more civilized.

totally epic

Reaction score
I'm going there next week for 10 days. What are some 'normal' things to do?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by totally epic
I'm going there next week for 10 days. What are some 'normal' things to do?

- budget
- likes/dislikes

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I agree. The amount of douchebags that come out on NYE, including all the dirty people from Vermont, is staggering. Club owners get especially greedy, they pack places until you can't even think, and a lot of people just act like assholes.

Metro, another suggestion that could be decent in Cavalli. It's this hip italian place that charges like $50 for pasta but I know it has been a hot spot for 30+ people. It might be a bit more civilized.

Could be worse, NYC is stomach-turning at tis time of the year. Barcelona is orgiastic though so maybe scrap the MTL trip and go there?

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I'm going up to MTL with my girlfriend on Dec 30 and staying there until Jan 1, 09. What are some of nice lounge/clubs to go to? She likes kind of trendy and lounge/club place with euro-electro music (i.e. Tiesto). Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

There are some more recommendations made in a thread I posted earlier this year. I don't know if many lounge/club places were mentioned by posters, but there are some great bars and restaurants: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=Montreal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads