• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

New Year's Eve in Montreal

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
2
I'm going up to MTL with my girlfriend on Dec 30 and staying there until Jan 1, 09. What are some of nice lounge/clubs to go to? She likes kind of trendy and lounge/club place with euro-electro music (i.e. Tiesto). Any recommendation would be much appreciated.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
An Epicurean's Guide to Montreal - http://www.lifeepicurean.com/?p=109

That guide is laughably off.

Bar St. Sulspice a 'seen and be seen spot'?

Are they fucking kidding? They didn't mention like 90% of the good spots in the city. Horrible guide, don't follow.
 

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by SField
They didn't mention like 90% of the good spots in the city. Horrible guide, don't follow.

Can you mention few from those 90% of the good spots?
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Can you mention few from those 90% of the good spots?

I think you and your girlfriend will like Globe. On NYE it doesn't get too packed and is one of the premium spots in the city. There's also Time Supper Club which can be very cool. They did mention one good place - Au pied du cochon. Go. If you aren't on too much of a budget, I believe Toque! is still there, so that is another must.

I think it was you who said you hate being in NYC for new years because it's all out of towners, well, Montreal isn't much better. In fact, for me NYE is one of the shittiest nights to go out in any good city. I'd say go to Globe over Time, but check out both, and both will cost you, but both are nice.
 

The Wayfarer

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
532
Reaction score
3
"...screening clientele, and making..."
Originally Posted by SField
Bar St. Sulspice a 'seen and be seen spot'?
"...but one wonders if this is a place that really merits that type of consideration, considering the proximity to a place that is more hip and more inviting, that being Pub Latin Quartier."
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,534
Reaction score
12,593
Originally Posted by SField
I think you and your girlfriend will like Globe. On NYE it doesn't get too packed and is one of the premium spots in the city. There's also Time Supper Club which can be very cool. They did mention one good place - Au pied du cochon. Go. If you aren't on too much of a budget, I believe Toque! is still there, so that is another must.

I think it was you who said you hate being in NYC for new years because it's all out of towners, well, Montreal isn't much better. In fact, for me NYE is one of the shittiest nights to go out in any good city. I'd say go to Globe over Time, but check out both, and both will cost you, but both are nice.


You live in MTL, I thought you were very american...
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
"...screening clientele, and making..."



"...but one wonders if this is a place that really merits that type of consideration, considering the proximity to a place that is more hip and more inviting, that being Pub Latin Quartier."


Anyone who lives in montreal will tell you that there is NO such consideration. No one has ever suggested that about a sloppy college bar where quite literally, 14 year olds go to have their first drink at a bar.

This guide is horrible.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You live in MTL, I thought you were very american...

I lived for 5 years in Canada as a youngster.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,534
Reaction score
12,593
Originally Posted by SField
I lived for 5 years in Canada as a youngster.

Oh, cool. Honestly Montreal has good NYE parties but, like everywhere else, house/private parties are the way to go so I can't really help the OP.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Oh, cool. Honestly Montreal has good NYE parties but, like everywhere else, house/private parties are the way to go so I can't really help the OP.

I agree. The amount of douchebags that come out on NYE, including all the dirty people from Vermont, is staggering. Club owners get especially greedy, they pack places until you can't even think, and a lot of people just act like assholes.

Metro, another suggestion that could be decent in Cavalli. It's this hip italian place that charges like $50 for pasta but I know it has been a hot spot for 30+ people. It might be a bit more civilized.
 

totally epic

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
574
Reaction score
9
I'm going there next week for 10 days. What are some 'normal' things to do?
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by totally epic
I'm going there next week for 10 days. What are some 'normal' things to do?

- budget
- likes/dislikes
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,534
Reaction score
12,593
Originally Posted by SField
I agree. The amount of douchebags that come out on NYE, including all the dirty people from Vermont, is staggering. Club owners get especially greedy, they pack places until you can't even think, and a lot of people just act like assholes.

Metro, another suggestion that could be decent in Cavalli. It's this hip italian place that charges like $50 for pasta but I know it has been a hot spot for 30+ people. It might be a bit more civilized.


Could be worse, NYC is stomach-turning at tis time of the year. Barcelona is orgiastic though so maybe scrap the MTL trip and go there?
 

The Wayfarer

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
532
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I'm going up to MTL with my girlfriend on Dec 30 and staying there until Jan 1, 09. What are some of nice lounge/clubs to go to? She likes kind of trendy and lounge/club place with euro-electro music (i.e. Tiesto). Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

There are some more recommendations made in a thread I posted earlier this year. I don't know if many lounge/club places were mentioned by posters, but there are some great bars and restaurants: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=Montreal
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 66 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,558
Messages
9,220,009
Members
193,558
Latest member
adammb1
Top