• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Years Attire Dilemma

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
So i'll be attending a new years eve party Back in Boston at a bar/club that a close buddy rented out. Now i love my friends to death...but they dress like ****. They said to dress in cocktail attire, and that mans to them: blousey dress shirts with disco collar under a 2-sizes too big blazer, baggy faded jeans, with square-toed dress shoes. That means to me, well tailored suit with a slim fit open collared dress shirt (maybe a tie).

Now I hate to 'dumb down' my attire, but for the pure sake of not gettin my balls busted, i'm thinking about compromising to some raw denim jeans, dress shirt under a v-neck thin sweater and a blazer, and a pair of dress shoes or drivers.

Any insight is appreciated

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif

zenith

Reaction score
Do not dumb it down for your friends. If you don't feel comfortable in what you are wearing, you will not enjoy yourself. Instead, be ready to have your balls busted a little and have fun with it.

A few of my friends are cops and laborers, and when I would meet them out after work they used to call me "Dockers" and "Casper, the White Collared Ghost. " It was great publicity. It got me more attention from the ladies than anything I could have done on my own.

Berticus

Reaction score
no reason to dumb down for others. The only reason why you would dumb things down is if you plan your crowd or you to be wasted. But to me that would mean dressing in things I don't have to dry clean, and I would still try my best to look my best.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Don't dumb it down.

+1 Think of it as raising the bar. Maybe you'll have a positive effect on your buds.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why be defensive about it? If they bust your balls, kick theirs.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with YFYF, if they're gonna bust your balls.....go wayyyyy over the top.

Tophat and cane. maybe some crocodile wing tips...

I can imagine the convo, "i see you too are wearing crocs"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads