• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New White Dial Watch....You Like?

andyw

Reaction score
Worst than my passion for shell cordivan is my vice for collecting watches. Been wanting a simple white dial sports watch for some time, but just couldn't find the right one.....and there is not much to select from. So I decided on this Rolex Explorer II.

First Rolex for me, preferring brands with better value and innovation...Omega, IWC and JLC, but I'm thoroughly delighted and don't know what the fuss has been for me all these years.

You like?

fongstar

Reaction score
Nice watch! I'm a big fan of white faced watches, and that Rolex does the trick perfectly. Good choice.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! Rolex fan or not that is one classy and timeless beaut. Good choice.

andyw

Reaction score
Thanks, not sure the fever has been put out. I also looked at the Blancpain Leman Big Date and that has a sweet white dial....but it isn't quite the tool watch nor as sporty as I like. Nevertheless, extremely pleased with the Explorer II.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the Explorer is a great watch which has spawned many imitators. By the way, white faced watches are the black shoes of the watch forums
smile.gif

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think the Explorer is a great watch which has spawned many imitators. By the way, white faced watches are the black shoes of the watch forums
smile.gif

Truly said.

I guess the watch complements the recent rediscovery and purchases of black shoes. Nothing like variety and working the sublime.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Rolex. The white face Explorer is on my wish list in the future also. I have slimmed my collection down a bit to make room for more Rolex watches. The 40mm size just seems to be perfect.

jsherman02

Reaction score
smile.gif

Depends on the brand....but for the most part, that is correct. I personally love the white dials.

aleeboy

Reaction score
The Explorer II is a great watch. Will go well in pretty much ever situation, bar black tie events. I have an IWC too and IMHO, the Rolex blows it out of the water with regards to quality of build, and accuracy. My Explorer is back on my wrist for the week. I've given the Pilot Chrono a little too much time of late.

Once again, great watch!

Andrew

plhoang

Reaction score
Very, very nice. I've always been partial to the EXP II with a white dial.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife gave me this exact watch, white exp 2, when we got engaged 8 years ago. I still wear it often, and recently changed the bracelet for a black leather strap with white stitching which looks very nice on this watch.

Regards.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, white faced watches are the black shoes of the watch forums
smile.gif

What's the reason for this? Just too obvious and lacking in imagination, or is there some more complicated reason for the taboo?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Thanks, not sure the fever has been put out. I also looked at the Blancpain Leman Big Date and that has a sweet white dial....but it isn't quite the tool watch nor as sporty as I like. Nevertheless, extremely pleased with the Explorer II.

I'm not much of a Rolex fan, but imho, Explorer II > Leman Big Date any day.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I still wear it often, and recently changed the bracelet for a black leather strap with white stitching which looks very nice on this watch.

Regards.

Exactly what I've been thinking for versatility.....and these shell cordovan bands will fit the bill:

http://europeanwatch.com/9697.htm

For the closure, I think the only Rolex OEM product is a white gold deployant which I'm not crazy about. What buckle set up do you have?

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
My wife gave me this exact watch, white exp 2, when we got engaged 8 years ago. I still wear it often, and recently changed the bracelet for a black leather strap with white stitching which looks very nice on this watch.

Regards.

Do you have any pictures? I've seen a leather strap on a black-dialed Explorer 1, but not this combination. I'm wearing my white dial Exp II right now, like I do most hot and humid days when I don't need to wear a more formal watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads