• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New way that Jantzen is saving me money

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've figured out that not only has Jantzen saved me money because the cost of his shorts are so low, but also because his erratic shipping and response times have kept me from buying any other shirts while I wait for my order to come in. I placed an order in early November and haven't heard anything. But I have one Jantzen already, and like the fit and quality so much more than my ready-to-wear shirts that whenever I find myself tempted by a sale at CT, Lewin, Coles, H&H or H&K etc., I think to myself, why spend money for these off the rack when there are custom Jantzen shirts on the way. And since I never know quite when Jantzen will get around to doing my shirts, I can always convince myself that my shirts could arrive any day. This has kept me from spending money (that I shouldn't spend anyway) on shirts at any of the holiday and post-holiday sales. Now if only Jantzen made shoes and ties, I could really get my clothing spending under control.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful. In the same way people convince themselves they should keep smoking because they're going to die anyway
dozingoff.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heh, I actually have a similar line of reasoning. I'll judge shirts by how many Jantzens I could buy for the same price -- "Is this shirt really worth two Jantzens?" Usually the answer is no.

If I really needed more shirts, I'd go buy them. But I have plenty, so I can afford the leisure of Jantzen.

Newton

Reaction score
Any Hong Kong members would do well to pitch a contract to Jantzen to keep track of their orders etc.

Clint2905

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about Jantzen Tailor and do not know why so many of you have problems in ordering with him. His shirts are incredible. I ordered my shirts by calling Ricky from Montreal on Wednesday night last week and they were at my hotel in Hong Kong on Sunday night when I arrived, just as I had requested. If you are ordering through the e-mail, I think it would take longer buu I would suggest typing "Shirt Order"in the subject field of your e-mail or something that catches his attention since he gets hundreds of e-mails daily. Worked for me anyway!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newton
Any Hong Kong members would do well to pitch a contract to Jantzen to keep track of their orders etc.
I've had the same idea and would do it if I was in Hong Kong.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clint2905
I have been reading a lot about Jantzen Tailor and do not know why so many of you have problems in ordering with him. His shirts are incredible. I ordered my shirts by calling Ricky from Montreal on Wednesday night last week and they were at my hotel in Hong Kong on Sunday night when I arrived, just as I had requested. If you are ordering through the e-mail, I think it would take longer buu I would suggest typing "Shirt Order"in the subject field of your e-mail or something that catches his attention since he gets hundreds of e-mails daily. Worked for me anyway!
We're not ordering through email. We're ordering through their website, so they have a pretty good idea it's a "shirt order". Their turnaround time, customer service, and sometimes general reliability with internet orders are variable, to say the least. Ricky's also notoriously bad about responding to emails.
Your experience is consistent with that of others, who have found them to be mucn more responsive and reliable in person.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clint2905

Logistics my good sir, logistics. You were in his stomping grounds so to speak. The majority of us are not as fortunate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder OP. It's time for me to shoot an email to Ricky to inquire about my order placed sometime in October of last year.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newton
If you're in HK or some other low labour cost country with a reasonable history of tailoring, we'd all appreciate it if you find a reasonable alternative to Jantzen and get them online.
confused.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Now if only Jantzen made shoes and ties, I could really get my clothing spending under control.
Magnoli Clothiers makes decent shoes out of calf leather for around $250. I'm gonna ask around on Fedora Lounge (when my membership is ever accepted) to see how good they really are. EDIT: Okay, checked around. Seems to have a pretty good reputation. I'll ask what the construction is like.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to Ricky a bit about the state of the Internet orders and apparently (or his excuse is) he reads through each one of them to make sense of the measurements, AND tweak them before actually sending them to the factory to make.

The internet orders have gotten way too much to handle as he doesn't want to give out crappy products (by throwing the measurements straight to the factory rather than double checking them first) - and has too much local business to handle. (if any of you want to set up an algorithm for him to automatically highlight obvious outlying measurements, feel free to help him out)

after numerous conversations w/ this guy, he seems to be an honest guy whos actually interested passionate about his craft.

chris8sirhc

Reaction score
I knew it!! I have longer arms than normal so my sleeve length was about 1.5 inches longer than the average for that neck size. When the shirt came the sleeves were about 1.5 inches too short. Jantzen refused to ship me a shirt that was correct and wanted me to pay for shipping back to them to "tailor the shirt" That is why I have never ordered anything from them after that first order 2 years ago. Why would I pay for a custom shirt, extra shipping for them to fix it, and then only end up with a shirt that has been modified.... I even went to the trouble of taking pictures of the shirt both on me and with a tape measure clearly showing that the sleeves were too short.. Still the same response... Any recomendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads