1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

new way of fastening double button cuffs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Nov 1, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Of my non-french cuff shirts, I have gone exclusively with double button cuffs (2 ½" length) from Jantzen. You know, the kind where you must button both buttons on the cuff. Well, today I experimented with another way of fastening these cuffs. I button the higher button and leave the button closest to my hand undone. Because I have 2 buttons to cover only 2 ½" of cuff, it actually is only slightly different than having a single button cuff. I found today that by fastening it this way, the cuff stays secure on my wrist and the end sort of "trumpets" over the base of the thumb bone. But it does this is a way that is more natural than if you had a single button cuff (instead of the cuff sort of "bending" into the trumpet shape, it sort of "pivots" on the button that is fastened). This method results in perfect cuff length showing from under the jacket sleeve and also is very comfortable. In addition, I think it is a little bit of a fashion statement - sort of like leaving one jacket sleeve unbuttoned (but less pretentious).

Am I an idiot for considering adopting this fastening method as my own?

2. Kaga

Kaga Senior Member

IMMSMC, I do it too.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Ditto, when wearing a shirt with double buttons casually, I do the same. Partly because I'm lazy, and partly because it looks more casual IMO.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I'm with J. However, with a suit, I would probably opt to button them both.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'm going to further the trend and do it with suits. [​IMG]

6. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

Funny, I just took this up a few weeks ago, when going casual. As I'm typing this I'm wearing a red/white mutant-ginham check shirt from Boss with the lowest buttons undone. I looks better, is more comfortable and requires less work when dressing as I'm always in a hurry nowdays.

This cuff is mostly seen nowdays on RTW shirts with two button collars, except the English ones of course. I have one from Jantzen and I've decided to standardize on this cuff for button cuffs.

B

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't usually wear dress shirts per se, but that is the way I wear all my western style shirts, and the wierd double button DSquared military style shirts I have . I'll usually go a step further and turn up the end of the cuff a little. But then again, the cuffs of these shirts are extremely soft, and the look on a more rigid cuff might just look plain stupid.

8. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

On T&A shirts, which are triple button, I leave the wrist-ward button open, and button the top two.

On Brooks shirts, which lately are double button, I find it's okay to leave one button open but generally close both.

9. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

I saw a portrait of Terence Conran of Habitat fame few weeks ago. He was wearing a T&A and only buttoned the middle button.

I thougt this was neat and tried this once. I found out quickly that this does not work unless the sleves are short enough. The cuffs are so soft that they will ride down on your hand all the time.

B