• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New watch for around $250

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a fashion-related quandry. I'd like a new watch for myself - something nice but not terribly expensive. This is just a little gift to myself that I'd hope to have for a couple of years. I'd like to keep the maximum price around $250, but I would be open to spending up to $400 or so - as long as the watch is at a really good deal (i.e. a watch with a $1250 retail price for $450 or something). I would not spend the $250 at full-retail, I would rather get a $500 watch for $250. Currently, the watch I wear nearly every day is a Wenger (swiss army design) in stainless steel with a croc band. The retail price was around $400 (I paid less), plus the cost of the band. I also have a Victorinox in stainless steel (case and band) with a red dial, a Victorinox in matte black aluminum with a black strap, and a gold Citizen with a black dial. I rarely (once a year or so) wear the latter three. I'd like something casual - a 'sports' watch - nothing too dressy. I'd like stainless steel, but gold accents might be okay. I plan on purchasing a 'dress' watch in the near future, so right now I would just like something casual. I've been looking at Locman and like their designs, especially the Chronographs. I found the following on ebay for about 50% off retail: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....78&rd=1 ($400, but if I hear good things about it I don't mind) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....83&rd=1 (Locman, $160) My local TJ Maxx also has a TechnoMarine (from the TechnoSport line) that looks cool. The only thing I don't really like is that the strap is rubber (blue, plus it comes with a spare gray strap) and the unusual design of the strap would prevent me from switching in a stainless steel one. They are selling it for $250, which I believe is around 50% off retail. Any word on TechnoSport? Another area TJ Maxx has some Ebel watches (around $600 though), and a very nice looking Versace ($1600), though I think the Versace fetches a premium for the name.

bern

Reaction score
A sports watch that I get compliments for in the accutron lucerne. I paid around 300$ for it if I recall. Looks fine with a suit as well.

bern

armscye

Reaction score
Just as a practical matter, a mixed gold/stainless watch with a metal bracelet is the most versatile watch you can own, since it goes with all colors of leather and all belt buckles.

Investment wise, you'll always get a watch that will hold value better with a vintage watch, but you have to LIKE the vintage concept to begin with.

If you're looking for a "sleeper", Oris and Tissot are two respected Swiss watchmakers with long histories that will mark you as discerning.

Among the highly promoted brands, Tag-Heuer has some sport-type watches available at discount in that range.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your email mentions that you only want the watch for "a couple of years." In the life of a watch, that's a very short time as I'm sure you know. I'm curious if you don't mind -- why spend so much on such a short-timer?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
armscye, Good point about the gold and S/S combination - however, the watch I currently wear every day is stainless steel with gold accents - I just want something different. I do like vintage watches (very much&#33
wink.gif
, but I was thinking of getting a vintage watch (perhaps an Omega or Longines) for my 'dressy' watch I plan to purchase in the future. Oris has some very nice sport watches, and I was seriously contimplating some models by Tissot. Kabert, Well, to tell you the truth, I'd like to have the watch for a while. I just didn't want someone recommending a watch that costs $4,000 because it will last a lifetime. The only reason I said 'a couple of years' is that I wanted something relatively inexpensive so that I wouldn't be heartbroken if I lost it. Truth be told, I have yet to lose a watch. So to get to the point, I would like to keep costs lower in case something happens to the watch, but would like to keep it for longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads