• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Wardrobe Help

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Alright I need some advice. Lets say that you were getting rid of all the clothes you owned, (all shirts, pants, underwear, socks, jackets and shoes, everything) and you had the money to buy a whole new wardrobe... Well my question is what should a baisc wardrobe consist of? I mean like what type clothes for what occasions? What type clothes for what season? How many of what would you get? Im asking this becasue I have come across some money and after this year of High School I plant to buy an entire new wardrobe for when I move out, I will either be going to college some where here in Alabama (defiently somewhere by the beach) or Flordia and I figure since Im working on my weight this summer and I will continue throughout the school year I will be down to 175 way before then. I want to start completly over when I go to college and I have no clue on what type clothes I need to make a stylish wardrobe. So just like what would you first suggest as the bascis to start out with and then what should I get from their? Anyways any lists or anything would be great. Thanks so much.

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
IF anyone has any advice that would be great. Thanks

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a tough question, because the answer depends on where you live, what you like, and what you'll be doing. At a minimum, I'd suggest you get a charcoal or navy single-breasted suit, for weddings/funerals/job interviews, and a pair of black captoe shoes. You'll need a couple of good white button-up shirts, maybe one in blue, and a couple of ties. For daily wear, you could go with khakis or jeans. It's nice to have a couple of pairs of both. Some polos and Ts for casual wear, along with a pair of sneakers. More button-up shirts, if that's your style.

But beyond that, the sky's the limit. We've got a whole forum here for discussing this very subject. What styles do you like? What do you wear now and do you like it? Do you want something entirely different, or are you just looking to refine what you have? Why the emphasis on starting over?

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Thanks right now all I wear is tees and cardo shorts whens its warm, and hoodies and jeans when its cold. I want to start over and dress more stylish. Alot more. I will probably be living in Flordia and mainly going to college. Thanks for the help. Anymore adivce or comments would be great. Thanks!

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Thanks but I working my butt off to get down to 175 and Im defiently not going to go up any during college. Also Im just looking for the basics like how many of what and such. It wont be much of a climate change, but no matter what I will defiently be sharpening up my immage for college. Any help or advice is great. Thanks

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
14 Socks
14 Boxers
14 Undershirts

01 Black Dress Belt
01 Black Casual Belt
03 Ties

01 pair of Sandals
01 pair of Sneakers
01 pair of Flip Flops
01 pair of Dress Shoes
01 pair of Casual Shoes

01 Navy Suit
01 Navy Blazer
01 Wind Breaker
01 Leather Jacket

03 Button Up Dress Shirts
07 Polo Shirts
07 SS T- Shirts W/ Print
07 LS T-Shirts W/O Print
07 SS T- Shirts W/O Print
07 Button Up Casual Shirts

07 Jeans
07 Khakis
07 Shorts
07 Flat Front Trousers

Well heres what I came up with, and what I thought would be the basics to start my wardrobe for college and afterwards. If you think I should have less of something and more of something else or whatever just tell me. Well Thanks!

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions or pics of the type of dress shoes I should get? While I think about it are their any suggestions on the kind of casual shoes and sneakers I should get also? Thanks

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Techno-Elf
Thanks right now all I wear is tees and cardo shorts whens its warm, and hoodies and jeans when its cold. I want to start over and dress more stylish. Alot more. I will probably be living in Flordia and mainly going to college. Thanks for the help. Anymore adivce or comments would be great. Thanks!

Which school?

Jon.

Duveen

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of clothing in the same tyoe- why 7 pairs of jeans? Why not two awesome pairs? Also a hell of a lot of T-shirts. Again, buy fewer but better and you'll likely be happier.

I'd go into this thinking about getting the enough clothing to last you two weeks without doing wash and then add to that as you go through school. To me, that would cut a lot of your numbers in half.

You will definitely add to this haul as you go, but I would strongly caution you to NOT binge-buy this much clothing. Two reasons:
* Everything you have will be focused on what happens to be available in stores now
* You will tie up a ton of $$$ in this and end up either further duplicating items as you look to upgrade or feeling that you don't have the cash to get stuff you find out you really want.

I'd go with 4 polos, 5 button down shirts, 10 or so T-shirts (some print, some not, a limited # of longsleeves unless that is your look or you are going somewhere cool); 2-3 pairs of jeans (tops!); 2-3 pairs of khakis; 1-2 pairs of shorts (I hate shorts, and so am biased). The rest of your stuff looks OK, except I'd encourage you to get good sneakers and one pair of brown shoes as well as your black ones.

Good luck!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Techno-Elf
Does anyone have any suggestions or pics of the type of dress shoes I should get?

grenson.jpg

This style can be worn anywhere you need to wear a suit. Always appropriate.

Techno-Elf

Reaction score
14 Socks
14 Boxers
14 Undershirts

01 Black Dress Belt
01 Brown Casual Belt
03 Ties

01 pair of Sandals
01 pair of Sneakers
01 pair of Flip Flops
01 pair of Black Dress Shoes
01 pair of Brown Casual Shoes

01 Navy Suit
01 Navy Blazer
01 Wind Breaker
01 Leather Jacket

03 Button Up Dress Shirts
04 Polo Shirts
05 SS T- Shirts W/ Print
05 SS T- Shirts W/O Print
05 Button Up Casual Shirts

03 Jeans
03 Khakis
03 Shorts
03 Flat Front Trousers

Thanks for the help. Hows this list fi you still think its too much for the basics to start off then please help me with it some more. I took most of your advice except the reason I ahve shorts is because the college is real close to the beach... Thanks Anymore suggestions?

Duveen

Reaction score
Only other advice/question would be -- do you think you'll really be using that tailored clothing (suit, blazer) very much?

Think about staggering your purchases by order of most urgent need:
Phase I
- Underwear/socks as you have it
- Basic trousers/shorts first (as you state - again, maybe 2 jeans @ $150+ each and the rest the same)
- Tops (polos, button up casual shirts, t-shirts, 1 white dress shirt, 2 ties)
- Casual shoes, sneakers, flip flops, belts, etc
- Windbreaker
- Blazer (a nice one, please! - no Macy's/Dillards/Belks, etc)

Then, phase II (in order of need)
- Dress shirts - remaining shirts, ties
- Leather jacket (if you decide you really need it)
- Dress shoes (likely can wait at least a few months on these - get a deal on a classic pair of Allen Edmonds...)
- Suit (save up and buy quality)

This way you space out your $ spent and think about what you want and look for a deal on the most expensive items (suit, shoes, leather jacket).

Good luck!

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Only other advice/question would be -- do you think you'll really be using that tailored clothing (suit, blazer) very much?

Think about staggering your purchases by order of most urgent need:
Phase I
- Underwear/socks as you have it
- Basic trousers/shorts first (as you state - again, maybe 2 jeans @ $150+ each and the rest the same)
- Tops (polos, button up casual shirts, t-shirts, 1 white dress shirt, 2 ties)
- Casual shoes, sneakers, flip flops, belts, etc
- Windbreaker
- Blazer (a nice one, please! - no Macy's/Dillards/Belks, etc)

Then, phase II (in order of need)
- Dress shirts - remaining shirts, ties
- Leather jacket (if you decide you really need it)
- Dress shoes (likely can wait at least a few months on these - get a deal on a classic pair of Allen Edmonds...)
- Suit (save up and buy quality)

This way you space out your $ spent and think about what you want and look for a deal on the most expensive items (suit, shoes, leather jacket).

Good luck!

Sage advice, sage advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads