1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New Wallet Advise

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JonathanCWalker, Feb 14, 2013.

1. dijor

dijor Senior member

I'm also in the process of buying a new wallet. I have narrowed my choice between two candidates a card holder or a bifold one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have more than 4 cards to carry with me so the card holder should have sufficient space. I'm not sure if a cardholder is sturdy enough for every day use. Color will be black. Any pros or cons between these two?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. CentralParkMan

CentralParkMan Well-Known Member

I've never been dissapointed with any of my Ettinger purchases. I might have to track down this wallet for myself as I love the bright tan interior. I love classic pieces which are a little different.

3. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

4. bertie

bertie Senior member

I can't imagine going back to a regular wallet after carrying all my stuff in a card holder for the past 20 years. Big wallets are bulky and ruin the line of most jackets and look silly in back pockets. Just say no to loyalty cards.

5. fashionsavvy197

fashionsavvy197 Member

yeah, once you escape from the bulky wallet you never look back. for me the money clip and cardholder are the move. I can keep the small card holder for any larger purchases and keep spending cash conveniently in the money clip. a decent money clip commands respect and envy in checkout lanes/starbucks etc. small luxury worth having. chicks dig the money clip/cash.

6. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

I ended up going for a Tom Ford wallet and card holder. Waiting on the delivery from Harrods will upload pictures when i get them

7. salisboss

salisboss Well-Known Member

I know not high style but I am very happy with my new royal blue Coach wallet I got when DW was getting a new purse. 60% off doesn't hurt either.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Actually looking at some of the Ettinger offerings I see that some have their big branding stamped without foil. Those look pretty good.

10. velomane

velomane Senior member

For any of you Ettinger owners, particularly billfolds/wallets. Is there any cloth in the construction? I find this is the first thing to go on my wallets. My Ghurka, though it has a beautiful patina, has become a PITA because the fabric inside is torn and ratty. Why can't the luxury providers make something that lasts more than a couple years?

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Because they want repeat business. They want you to come back to their store so they can sell you something else... :)

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. I've got a lovely wallet that has developed a fantastic patina over the past two decades but the cloth lining of the note and change pockets has decayed and ripped and now when I store money in it, I run the risk of it either slipping out or disappearing into the inside of the wallet.

Interestingly, my wife has a slim-line purse of a similar vintage that has a silk lining and she's used it daily for the past 18 years. The silk lining is fine, whereas the artificial lining in my wallet has decayed and torn over the time. So, whilst leather/suede might be best for lining material, silk could be second-best, well ahead of nylon/polyester fabrics.

13. ahdaeeeee

ahdaeeeee Well-Known Member

The downside living at down under I guess. I live in Indonesia/Singapore and shipping here is ridiculous as well, at times the shipping cost could actually cost more than the stuff itself.

Going back to the topic, how fast do you wear your wallet out? I myself typically gets a new wallet every 4 years, I also rotate the use of the wallets switching them around every couple of months. My point is, if you wear your wallet out quickly, I wouldn't go for something expensive and personalized, it won't last long and you would just spend an X amount again getting a new one.

14. SHS

SHS Senior member

15. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

16. Kai

Kai Senior member

Saddleback wallets are monstrously thick.

I like their biefcases, but their wallets are just too big and clunky for my tastes.

17. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I know OP has already decided, but I was actually browsing recently for a new wallet, nicer than the typical $20 junk I buy, and I'm thinking about the Coronado leather wallet #8 (#8 model, not color) which is in Horween Chromexcel leather which I like. It has no fabric lining.

http://coronadoleather.com/i-7873011-coronado-cxl-wallet8.html

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

If I bought a wallet and it fell apart with less than 2 years, I can assure you I wouldn't be buying anything else from that company.

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

True. I've had a MontBlanc wallet for 12 years. I've used it every day and it still looks almost new.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  20. mb1233

mb1233 Member

It can be hard choosing a wallet. I wouldn't look in a department store for one. Personally, I like Makr's offerings.