• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Wallet Advise

Mr Martini

Reaction score
i go through wallets all the time. Although ive never bought one for myself, because i get so many as xmas gifts. Is there any reason to go out and spend a ton on one? Will it last me longer that a 30 dollar one?

SHS

Reaction score
You could try one from Saddleback. They look very durable.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a little odd to me to worry so much about durability when it comes to wallets. I'd prioritize elegance and refinement.

ajk170

Reaction score
+1 for Launer. I've had my American version (narrower black and tan to accommodate US currency) for 4 years now- it's been through a year in Iraq and Afghanistan being carried in my chest pocket (takes more of a beating due to sweat) and it's held up very, very well. It's been soaked through multiple times and rubbing against body armor certainly takes the life out of lesser wallets. The edges are looking a bit worn and thus I've even considered polishing it just to try and help it but the color has held true. I want to buy another to reserve as my dress wallet (the black with red interior really catches my eye) for suits but can't justify it since this one isn't falling apart and looks pretty damn good for the abuse I've put it through. Needless to say the wife is aghast that I would use such a fine wallet in such a rugged environment- but why reserve something like this for just a suit and tie affair? Good solid craftsmanship should be used everywhere- especially in rugged applications. a JCP wallet would arguably be just fine if it's carried in a suit all the time (no offense to those that carry JCP wallets) but it doesn't hold up to this type of environment. Launer simply can't be beaten and doesn't look out of place either (people that break out a LV in these environments either try too hard or don't really have any taste. But I suppose an LV would be perfectly appropriate in a suit and tie setting).

Last edited:

Mr Martini

Reaction score
Excellent point and since you didn't add.....what the **** are you doing on this site? (Mr. Martini)
What the **** are you doing on this site? Last I checked price tags don't equate to style. It was a simple question.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should commission one from Hermes, maybe a long breast wallet? Something in moss green would be nice.

E TF

Reaction score
I can't imagine how you guys get through wallets so quickly. I have had two. One I was given perhaps around the age of 13, which lasted until I was about 25 (even then it was still functioning, just a bit worn round the edges). I received a replacement as a gift which is still fine seven years later. The current one is from Smythson; don't remember who made the old one, but would have been similar type.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's a little odd to me to worry so much about durability when it comes to wallets. I'd prioritize elegance and refinement.

I bought it for the opulence, but it happens to be durable as well.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are not anymore consumable than shoes, in fact probably much less so.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
daily with a regular removal and replacement of an AMEX card.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads