• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new vivienee westwood suit- size up or let out

masterpp

Reaction score
hey guys i bourght this new suit from vivienne westwood. its awesome and looks great on me, really fitted and a great shape. the problem is that im not very comfortable in it. its a little tight on the shoulders and under the arms so i feel restricted, and the trousers are a little tight on the thigh. but thats kinda the look.

if i sized up, the whole effect is spoiled.
the question is should i size up, and then take the whole thing in, or just get my talor to open up some of the seams and let it out around the shoulders, under the arms and a little of the leg.

what do you think

cheers

mbc

Reaction score
It's my (possibly mistaken) understanding that doing shoulder work on a suit is difficult and error prone. Thus, I would buy the suit that fits perfectly in the shoulders, and have a tailor work on the more easily altered seams, such as the waist, thighs, etc.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with mbc.

It's all up to you, though; if you aren't comfortable in the suit, then have it altered to where it is comfortable. It is better to have a suit that looks good on you and that you aren't going to split in the pants when you sit down than one that looks "fashionable." For example, I liked the early Dior and Balenciaga style, but since I'm not 6'8 and 104 pounds, I didn't buy one of the early season suits.

I don't find that Westwood's suits are nearly so extreme in cutting as Dior, Balenciaga, or even Costume National... so I think you have it altered moderately and still be fine. Plus, her tailored menswear and suits are nearly as definitive as her punk-wear, so I don't think you have to worry about destroying the Westwood "silhouette" to any major degree. Unless, of course, the suit is a tartan pattern with union jack lining and giant "****" stencilled across the back or something. That's the Vivienne I know...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry theres nothing in the shoulders to be let out.
mbc is right. pick a good fitting shoulder and chest. the rest of the jacket and the trousers can be altered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads