• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups

eskamobob1

Reaction score
[Honest ignorant question] Would the smaller not stretch out so long as it was unstructured and/or the size problem came from width?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unstructured toe doesn't have anything to do with fit.
Smaller in width would be even worse than length...
You can have a boot/shoe that's slightly too long without any real problem, but width is just going to kill your feet.
What is the fascination with buying footwear that is too small?

nosrep123

Reaction score
Hmmm although it's the safest to go with a size 8, I'm tempted to buy a size 7 based on the fact that Barrie is supposed to be a bit smaller than 2030 (in width? instep?). If only there was a way to try it on first

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm although it's the safest to go with a size 8, I'm tempted to buy a size 7 based on the fact that Barrie is supposed to be a bit smaller than 2030 (in width? instep?). If only there was a way to try it on first

There's a lot of discussion of sizing already in this thread. Barrie is half a size down from Brannock usually. And to try on, there are stores that stock Viberg, just check their site.

nosrep123

Reaction score
Is that so? I was under the impression that most people size down 1 full size for barrie. I will go and do some research in Alden's thread, but do you know why people size down only half? Since my barrie is 7.5, I wonder if maybe the shoe salesman sized me incorrectly. I was very surprised that the 7.5D fit me if I am really an 8.5, considering that I have a high instep that forces me to size up frequently than what people here recommend.

Last edited:

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that so? I was under the impression that most people size down 1 full size for barrie. I will go and do some research in Alden's thread, but do you know why people size down only half? Since my barrie is 7.5, I wonder if maybe the shoe salesman sized me incorrectly. I was very surprised that the 7.5D fit me if I am really an 8.5, considering that I have a high instep that forces me to size up frequently than what people here recommend.

The vast majority of people size down only 1/2 size from their Brannock size to Barrie. That is the common recommendation on the Alden thread.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All feet are different. Suggestions on sizing down are just that... suggestions.

People USED to buy lasts because they fit their feet better... nowadays it seems to be more for aesthetics!

eskamobob1

Reaction score
An unstructured toe doesn't have anything to do with fit.
Smaller in width would be even worse than length...
You can have a boot/shoe that's slightly too long without any real problem, but width is just going to kill your feet.
What is the fascination with buying footwear that is too small?
Meh. I dont realy care either way. I plan to order the size I already know I am so no worries for me. The reason I asked about an unstructured toe is because there is nothing preventing it from expanding. as for the width thing, unless you have a realy high instep, would the side panels of the boot not expand? I know they do on mocs so I just assumed boots would as well. I tend to go for a dash of a tight (very mild) width so that once they stretch they are not too lose on mocs. That said, you dont realy have tat problem on lace up boots. Over all the answer is of little consequence to me. I was just currious.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meh. I dont realy care either way. I plan to order the size I already know I am so no worries for me. The reason I asked about an unstructured toe is because there is nothing preventing it from expanding. as for the width thing, unless you have a realy high instep, would the side panels of the boot not expand? I know they do on mocs so I just assumed boots would as well. I tend to go for a dash of a tight (very mild) width so that once they stretch they are not too lose on mocs. That said, you dont realy have tat problem on lace up boots. Over all the answer is of little consequence to me. I was just currious.

Have you not owned a boot before? If your toes are hitting the front of your boots they are definitely too small because you won't be able to bend your foot :lol:

Overall shoe width does not naturally change, particularly heel. Over time you may get a little extra volume in the foot bed but I've never had this be too dramatic. Shoes that were too tight usually continue to be too tight.

I have no idea where the size down until it's too tight thing comes from. The number of 2030 lasted Vibergs in the marketplace might suggest it's not a wise idea.

In any case, it's of no consequence to you and you don't care, right?

eskamobob1

Reaction score
Have you not owned a boot before? If your toes are hitting the front of your boots they are definitely too small because you won't be able to bend your foot
lol8[1].gif

Overall shoe width does not naturally change, particularly heel. Over time you may get a little extra volume in the foot bed but I've never had this be too dramatic. Shoes that were too tight usually continue to be too tight.

I have no idea where the size down until it's too tight thing comes from. The number of 2030 lasted Vibergs in the marketplace might suggest it's not a wise idea.

In any case, it's of no consequence to you and you don't care, right?
Ah. I wasnt thinking too small that direction (more of too narrow on the toe). I have rather short feet but they are wide so I dont tend to have the issue of too short. Also, I have never owned an unstructured boot so im not really sure how they differ after break in. As for the general width, I was thinking of width of the instep and not the heal. The last time I bought boots was two years ago so I had forgotten that there is significantly less leway in heal size then there are with mocs (that tend to stretch every which way).

Ultimately, I know a 9 fits me rather well after trying on a pair (no tightness, but no heal movement either so I think im good), and that is what I plan on going with. But you are right. My questions are simply out of curiosity, not trying to figure out my size, so the answers dont affect much for me.

Last edited:

toobeau

Reaction score
I ******* love viberg hikers. They are the most durable shoes I have ever kicked **** in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics