• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Vass´ on the way!

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
I got an email the other day from Tom telling me that my order will be ready to ship on the 31st and I feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

I am so excited by this, because not only are these my first pairs of Vass shoes, but they are my first pair of non EG and JL shoes in 18 years. My Dad bought me my first pair of EGs from Paul Stuart as a present when I got my first job, that I still wear, going on 18 years. In the subsequent years I have loaded up on EGs and some JLs, but mostly EGs.

Breaking out of EGs also got me thinking about breaking out a little bit into the "something different", so I ordered the following from Vass.

1. Old English, U Last in Brown Scotchgrain with a double leather sole tapered to single
2. 3 - eyelet London, U Last in Oxblood Boxcalf with double leather sole tapered to single
3. Budapest Oxford, F Last in a Burgundy and Black Cordovan Spectator with double sole and goyser sewing.

I will try to post pictures to the shoe Appreciation forum when I get them. Just wanted to share as I needed an outlet for my excitement.

Also, big thank you to Tom. What an awesome gentlemen and a great experience overall.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like a good experience...be sure to show us pics.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oooh, i'm looking forward to seeing #2. that might be my next order in a different color
drool.gif

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Thanks all. I am excited. First foray into Vass and also my first into taking pictures of my shoes and posting them.

I asked my wife for her fancy digital SLR the other day saying I needed it for taking some pictures. She asked what pictures and I stammered some answer, which was vague and mumbled. She asked again and I finally said shoes. She just turned and walked out of the room. I took that to mean that I am not getting her camera. No worries though, I will dig out the PS or use my cell phone.

You will get pictures.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long have you been married?
lol8[1].gif

I got my e-mail today as well. My Vass oder is ready and I am getting my shoes porbably early April.

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
How long have you been married?
lol8[1].gif

I got my e-mail today as well. My Vass oder is ready and I am getting my shoes porbably early April.

My wife always considers herself the mistress when it comes to SF. I have been on this site for years, just recently decided to be a member and she now jokes that she has been completely replaced. She is also a very serious amateur photographer and does not share my passion for the shoe subject matter. I have tried to explain the art in it, she gives me that look that says "I married a complete idiot". I get that pretty often.

I am excited to see what you ordered as well. I hope you share.

Originally Posted by anon
is it necessarily a bad thing that you've been relegated to Lobbs and Ed Greens?

Absolutely not and I did not mean to come across as snobbish. That was not my intention at all and I am not saying that is what your were referring to. I just re-read my post and thought maybe I came across as one.

I love my Greens and I don´t think that I will ever find a Last that I like better that than the 606 and 888. I absolutely love them and I think the 606 is truly my favorite. I recently my first pair in the 89 and they are growing on me as well.

I think I am just excited to finally try some Vass shoes at a decent price point. When I lived in NYC I almost pulled the trigger at BG for some Vass, but at the time I did not know as much as I do now. I saw that they were very well made, but I felt for the price I would stick to EGs. From this forum mostly and seeing them again over the years a few more times I have come to appreciate them in a new light and so I am excited to venture down a new footwear path.

For me EG will never go away as it was what my Dad wore, was my first pair of shoes and I travel to London far more reguarly than to Budapest, so I can easily pick up a few pairs on Jermyn Street when in town. Plus, after years, I know how each last is going to fit initally and how it will break in.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tease.

Since your wife is a photographer, now she has one of the best subjects to photograph - your shoes! I think it is really hard to take photos of them. I tried, but the lighting is all off in my place, and I always have to use flash, which I think washes out the true look of the shoes, so I gave up.

Look forward to seeing some well-taken photos of your shoes.

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Tease.

Since your wife is a photographer, now she has one of the best subjects to photograph - your shoes! I think it is really hard to take photos of them. I tried, but the lighting is all off in my place, and I always have to use flash, which I think washes out the true look of the shoes, so I gave up.

Look forward to seeing some well-taken photos of your shoes.

This is the same problem that I have had. I have never posted pics because I just can´t photograph properly, so I gave up as well. I will post pictures but they won´t be well taken.

I love my wife, but she keeps as far away as possible from my photography subjects. I asked her a few months ago to photograph my watches and she did so, but not quietly. That is after I told her they were for insurance purposes and not for a forum. I don´t think she is going to buy the "for insurance" argument again.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're limited to the point-and-shoot or (eek) cell phone, just put the shoes near a window with lots of daylight. That should be enough to get a decent exposure.

Looking forward to seeing the "presents".

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16
I love my Greens and I don´t think that I will ever find a Last that I like better that than the 606 and 888. I absolutely love them and I think the 606 is truly my favorite. I recently my first pair in the 89 and they are growing on me as well. I think I am just excited to finally try some Vass shoes at a decent price point. When I lived in NYC I almost pulled the trigger at BG for some Vass, but at the time I did not know as much as I do now. I saw that they were very well made, but I felt for the price I would stick to EGs. From this forum mostly and seeing them again over the years a few more times I have come to appreciate them in a new light and so I am excited to venture down a new footwear path. For me EG will never go away as it was what my Dad wore, was my first pair of shoes and I travel to London far more reguarly than to Budapest, so I can easily pick up a few pairs on Jermyn Street when in town. Plus, after years, I know how each last is going to fit initally and how it will break in.
i think that if you love the 888 EG last, you will also love the Vass U last
inlove.gif

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16
This is the same problem that I have had. I have never posted pics because I just can´t photograph properly, so I gave up as well. I will post pictures but they won´t be well taken.

I love my wife, but she keeps as far away as possible from my photography subjects. I asked her a few months ago to photograph my watches and she did so, but not quietly. That is after I told her they were for insurance purposes and not for a forum. I don´t think she is going to buy the "for insurance" argument again.

Why doesn't she? I don't understand.

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i think that if you love the 888 EG last, you will also love the Vass U last
inlove.gif

I do too, although I feel that my recent purchases have all been skewed to the 888 and now U last. I am actually really excited to see the F last, because that is the one that I have never seen in person, so it will be a new experience.

Originally Posted by anon
Why doesn't she?

I don't understand.

I don't understand, but I know why and it is my fault. She has always taken the time to "teach" me how to take good pictures and what to look for to take good pictures. I have found that taking good pictures of watches and shoes is hard and that when I take them they never look as good to me as when she does. She gets frustrated that I just give up and don't pursue getting it right and just default to asking her. She is absolutely correct, so when my new shoes arrive, I will step up to the plate and do my best to get it right and share with all of you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads