1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

New tuxedo?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

This is my first post on this forum, and I'd like to say I really like the environment.  I'll tell you right now that I know less about style than any of you, but I'm learning.

I'd like to get a new tuxedo soon.  I have one already that I've been using, and there's not really anything wrong with it, it's just a plain black tux(tuc?) that I'm starting to outgrow.  The catch is that I'm poor.  I'm a 20 year old college student, but I'm a pianist and have alot of need for a good tux, and care how I look.  What would you all recommend for a person on a budget like me? I'm not going to say how much I'm willing to spend, because it boils down to how much I like it. I spent $160 on an outfit at banana republic yesterday that I really shouldn't have. I have money, but I also have alot of years of college left. Anyway, just let me know what you think, and if you have the time or energy post a picture of what you're talking about if you know where one is at.  With more casual clothes or even dress clothes I think I have good taste, but I'm clueless when it comes to different cuts of tuxedos.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

My favorite: single button, single breasted, peak lapel. Just make sure the button is placed high enough. You should get something fully canvassed, which will cost more but will look better. Ebay or Filene's Basement are your best bets. You should get something for under $500 with the outlet discounts. Also, check Overstock.com -- they have a couple of Zegnas.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My personal favorite is a two buttoned double breasted with peak lapels in midnight blue.

On an aside I once saw a Dunhill tailored dinner jacket that was a black shawl lapel for about $50 at an outlet. It was ridiculously cheap but then it got taken away by someone before I had the chance.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Yes, my tux is from Dunhill as well. Lot's of handwork. A St. Andrews make, I think. High-end Dunhills seem to be showing up in outlets quite a bit (not a lot, but they can be found with some medium hard looking). I got mine for $350, and it had the $1895 retail tags still attached. One of my best buys ever.

5. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Chris--Unless you are still growing, this could be a very, very long term purchase.  Make sure it fits you, because the same thing that makes a dinner jacket classic (its simplicity) amplifies any infelicities.  So no tricky innovations in cut or color--just a solid black suit with peaked satin lapels and a jacket that buttons precisely at your waist.  

While you can spend a whole lot more (and while I no longer recommend much else from them) for this purpose it's hard IMHO to improve on Brooks Bros.

And never, ever succumb to the temptation to tart up your dinner jacket.  It's black tie.  Period.

Regards,

MIke