• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New tux: Is this a good deal?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walking through Saks, I saw a Zegna tux for $1,250 on clearance, down from $2,500. It was:

SB
PL
unvented
no flaps
satin facings

I didn't love that it had pleats, but am thinking I could get over that. It is, however, about $500 more than I wanted to spend. Is this, though, a good enough deal that I need to overlook that and just do it, considering how hard it is to find a proper tux of that grade on sale?

And for the purposes of try-ons and potential returns, I'm only interested in what I can get in a retail store, not B/S, eBay, etc, which I understand I'll pay a premium for.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a good deal. And a nice, classic tux from how you describe it.

Also, pleats are good on formalwear. They get a bad rap because a lot of crappier pleated stuff is cut badly (think dockers before their recent spate of sensible cuts). Done well, it helps the pant hang better and helps give the pant shape to make the wearer more comfortable.

As for how much you're willing to spend, only you can decide. Certainly finding a tux of that quality for that price is going to be rare without going on the intertubes, but if you're only going to be wearing it a few times in your life, you may want to take that into consideration.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
That would be a good deal. And a nice, classic tux from how you describe it.

Also, pleats are good on formalwear. They get a bad rap because a lot of crappier pleated stuff is cut badly (think dockers before their recent spate of sensible cuts). Done well, it helps the pant hang better and helps give the pant shape to make the wearer more comfortable.

As for how much you're willing to spend, only you can decide. Certainly finding a tux of that quality for that price is going to be rare without going on the intertubes, but if you're only going to be wearing it a few times in your life, you may want to take that into consideration.

I'll go back perhaps and try the pants, see how they drape. I'll only use it once or twice a year for now, but I don't plan on changing sizes (between diet and exercise), so it'll last quite a while.

toade

Reaction score
Not sure what size you wear, but I have a NWT Zegna Mainline tux that I am looking to sell. I bought it on here about a year ago, and really haven't needed to use it. Anyway, it is 48R (38R US), Fit Rom, sounds identical to the one you describe. Anyway, if the one you are looking at is the same size and style (fit rom), then you should definitely consider mine, as I'm only looking to recoup what I paid, $500.

Let me know.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by toade
Not sure what size you wear, but I have a NWT Zegna Mainline tux that I am looking to sell. I bought it on here about a year ago, and really haven't needed to use it. Anyway, it is 48R (38R US), Fit Rom, sounds identical to the one you describe. Anyway, if the one you are looking at is the same size and style (fit rom), then you should definitely consider mine, as I'm only looking to recoup what I paid, $500.

Let me know.

Guess you never read the last line of my OP... I'm a 50 in Zegna anyhow.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd all but decided to pull the trigger next week when I got back from a long weekend with family, but then something made me stop by the outlet mall on my way out to Palm Springs today. Figured I might as well check the Zegna store since I had this on my mind, even though they usually have crap. Well, they had something that made my decision a little easier: same exact tux with flat-fronts at $250 less. Figured it was fate. Only downside of this one was pre-made non-working button holes, but whatever, that's $120 I won't have to spend now.

Does anyone know, will the tailors at a Zegna boutique work on merchandise purchased at their outlet stores?

misterfun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I'd all but decided to pull the trigger next week when I got back from a long weekend with family, but then something made me stop by the outlet mall on my way out to Palm Springs today. Figured I might as well check the Zegna store since I had this on my mind, even though they usually have crap. Well, they had something that made my decision a little easier: same exact tux with flat-fronts at $250 less. Figured it was fate. Only downside of this one was pre-made non-working button holes, but whatever, that's $120 I won't have to spend now.

Does anyone know, will the tailors at a Zegna boutique work on merchandise purchased at their outlet stores?

Congrats! I'm sure it felt good finding exactly what you wanted at a lower price than expected. I wasn't aware that there were Zegna outlets --- where was this?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterfun
Congrats! I'm sure it felt good finding exactly what you wanted at a lower price than expected. I wasn't aware that there were Zegna outlets --- where was this?

This was in Cabazon, CA. The woman said there were four in the US, but this is the only one in CA. They actually had a second one, but that one had a couple scratches on the satin lapels (they'd have to be replaced).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Guru
I'm sure that Saks has dinner jackets with their own label where you can get regular trousers. The name Zenga means nothing since the buyers only choose high quality makers for their products sold under the Saks label.

Nope, sorry, none of the above is right. But thanks for playing, we have a lovely consolation prize for you...

First of all, the black DJs at Saks are only sold as full suits.

Second, this season's, now on sale, came with pleats.

Third, this season's, now on sale, was a shawl lapel with a two button front. This, IMO, is the worst type of lapel to pair with a two button tux (two button is pretty much always bad, though).

Fourth, the Zegna is fully canvassed and made of Zegna material. The house brand one was neither.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several cheaper options, but there is not much out there that is definitively classic black tie than a Zegna single breasted peak lapel tuxedo. I would also say that the pleats are traditional on a tux and shouldn't dissuade you from purchasing the tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads