• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Turnbull & Asser shirt cut.

Rob_Sutherland

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed (but I didn't know it and it somewhat surprised me!) but Turnbull & Asser have a new stock cut. They still make the old cut, but I believe they are transitioning entirely to the new one.

I was at their Jermyn St. shop last week looking to replace my beloved small purple gingham check shirt which I had finally worn through. While they no longer made the shirt they still have the fabric (they have gone to a larger gingham check in general which they admitted they are getting a bit of a backlash about) and they agreed to make me one in their standard new cut as long as it was in an order of 3. I had thought that they would only do this if it was MTM, but apparently they will make a bog standard OTR shirt in any of their fabrics as long as you order at least 3 shirts (don't have to be the same fabrics) and the charge is just the regular price of their OTR shirt.

This is a nice thing because the new stock cut is WONDERFUL. It's much slimmer cut around the waist, the arm holes are a good inch+ higher than the old cut but the shoulders are still fairly wide and the collar and cuffs are identical to the old one. What this meant for me is that their tailor looked at the stock shirt on me and said that while he could make it a bit differently, he couldn't make a MTM shirt fit better enough to justify any type of additional expense.

I'm now a happier, abet poorer man...

Oh and in case anyone is wondering the other two shirts are also in fabrics they don't normally make OTR shirts in, a white self stripe and a coffee Bengal stripe.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rob_Sutherland
I don't know if this has been discussed (but I didn't know it and it somewhat surprised me!) but Turnbull & Asser have a new stock cut. They still make the old cut, but I believe they are transitioning entirely to the new one.

I was at their Jermyn St. shop last week looking to replace my beloved small purple gingham check shirt which I had finally worn through. While they no longer made the shirt they still have the fabric (they have gone to a larger gingham check in general which they admitted they are getting a bit of a backlash about) and they agreed to make me one in their standard new cut as long as it was in an order of 3. I had thought that they would only do this if it was MTM, but apparently they will make a bog standard OTR shirt in any of their fabrics as long as you order at least 3 shirts (don't have to be the same fabrics) and the charge is just the regular price of their OTR shirt.

This is a nice thing because the new stock cut is WONDERFUL. It's much slimmer cut around the waist, the arm holes are a good inch+ higher than the old cut but the shoulders are still fairly wide and the collar and cuffs are identical to the old one. What this meant for me is that their tailor looked at the stock shirt on me and said that while he could make it a bit differently, he couldn't make a MTM shirt fit better enough to justify any type of additional expense.

I'm now a happier, abet poorer man...

Oh and in case anyone is wondering the other two shirts are also in fabrics they don't normally make OTR shirts in, a white self stripe and a coffee Bengal stripe.

What is the beginning price point for MTM. I'm assuming an order of 3 is needed. I have always been fascinated with them for some reason. Also, anyone know if they will do a double button cuff; I'm not so sure I like the triple button cuff they are famous for.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's been many a horror story about T&A MTM. I'd steer well clear if I were you.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
There's been many a horror story about T&A MTM. I'd steer well clear if I were you.

Interesting...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search will reveal all.

Rob_Sutherland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
What is the beginning price point for MTM. I'm assuming an order of 3 is needed. I have always been fascinated with them for some reason. Also, anyone know if they will do a double button cuff; I'm not so sure I like the triple button cuff they are famous for.

They do do a double button cuff if requested. I ended up paying just over $800 for three shirts (including VAT). Two of the fabrics were from the Classics book and the white on white stripe was from a different one (can't remember which).

I can't comment on their MTM quality but having owned 20+ of their RTW shirts, I have never had a problem with fit and finish. My wife and I received wonderful service, though I would agree that service on previous visits can be seen as cold (though I just take it as "look by yourself, buy with our help").

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads